DELIVERANCE FROM FLYING ARROWS
STUDY TEXT: Psalm 91:5
- An arrow is an injurious weapon that has capacity to cause a damage or death on a living object.
- Spiritual arrows are invisible attacks from the kingdom of darkness to specific or unspecified targets. Specific targets are those that the enemy intended to harm with their arrows, while the unspecified are those that were not intended by the enemy but the arrow got to them by accident or by coincident.
- Whether you are a specified target or unspecified, if you are washed by the Blood of Jesus, you have a promised to be protected from flying arrows.
- We shall look into this study under three sub-headings:
1. Classification of flying arrows.
2. Criteria for attacks by flying arrows.
3. Conditions for overcoming attacks by flying arrows.
1. CLASSIFICATION OF FLYING ARROWS
1. Arrow of death.
- An arrow of death is one sent to kill people before time. 2 Kings 4:18-22: And when the child was grown, it fell on a day, that he went out to his father to the reapers. And he said unto his father, My head, my head. And he said to a lad, Carry him to his mother. And when he had taken him, and brought him to his mother, he sat on her knees till noon, and then died. And she went up, and laid him on the bed of the man of God, and shut the door upon him, and went out. And she called unto her husband, and said, Send me, I pray thee, one of the young men, and one of the asses, that I may run to the man of God, and come again.
- The boy here had no symptoms of any sickness or infirmity, but suddenly he cried out because a flying arrow attacked his head, and in no time, the boy died. That is an arrow of death, we may not know the source or the reason behind it, but it got to the boy and killed him.
- Many people had been killed through an arrow of death in this manner or the other. Some people while sleeping without any prior sickness will not be able to wake up again but will die from their sleep. Some of the ghastly motor accidents or plane crashes that has taken away many lives are as a result of an arrow of death again one or more individual in the vehicle or the aircraft. A lot of mishap such as fire accident, building collapsing on some people, flood disasters claiming lives, and so on could be a product of an arrow of death form the kingdom of darkness.
- Sometimes this arrow of death can stay for a while in a person before it will eventually kill the person. For instance some people being attended to in the hospital already have an arrow of death in their bodies, so after wasting money on laboratory investigations and treatments, they will eventually die. If this arrow could be recognized before hand’ it could be prevented or extracted from the body of the victim and the intended death will be annulled.
- Call upon the name of Jesus three times and ask the fire of the Holy Spirit to destroy any arrow of death shot against you, and confess that you will live and not die in Jesus name.
2. Arrow of Affliction.
- When an arrow of affliction is sent to a target, it will result in various afflictions and oppressions, most of which will not respond to any physical means of solving the problem, unless when they are properly diagnosed spiritually and tackled with fervent prayer under the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Luke 8:43-48: And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any, Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched. And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me? And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me. And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him and how she was healed immediately.
And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.
- The woman had a seemingly medical condition but failed to respond to medical care and attention, only the anointing of the Holy Spirit in the life of Jesus could break the yoke and set the woman free.
- This kind of arrow includes epileptic attack of spiritual origin. By the grace of God, I met a young lady in a higher institution some years back who was attacked with the spirit of epilepsy by her step mother. All efforts to get her cured were without success. Several times she will be disgraced among her colleagues manifesting this spirit. But under the Holy Spirit anointing, this yoke was totally destroyed and the lady was permanently set free to the glory of God. Arrow of affliction can also be an attack with the spirit of madness. A woman was attacked by this spirit sometimes ago, and she started removing her cloth in order to go naked into the street, but she was quickly noticed and rushed to the hospital to receive a medical attention. While in the hospital, there will be a temporary relief, and the problem will aggravate again. When this problem was discerned to be an arrow from the devil, this woman was prayed for under the anointing of the Holy Spirit and she was totally set free.
3. Arrow of confusion and division.
- This arrow is capable of separating chief friends. Acts 15:36-41: And some days after Paul said unto Barnabas, Let us go again and visit our brethren in every city where we have preached the word of the Lord, and see how they do. And Barnabas determined to take with them John, whose surname was Mark. But Paul thought not good to take him with them, who departed from them from Pamphylia, and went not with them to the work. And the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder one from the other: and so Barnabas took Mark, and sailed unto Cyprus; And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God. And he went through Syria and Cilicia, confirming the churches.
- Paul and Barnabas called to work together by the Holy Spirit were actually doing fine in the work committed unto them, until this arrow of division came against them. The argument became so sharp that they could no longer work together and has to choose another companion for themselves.
- This type of arrow can also cause division in marriages. Husband and wife that have been enjoying their lives together according to the plan of God will suddenly begin to work against each other due to hatred and bitterness caused by the arrow of division. Whenever contentions become so sharp in the home of a believer, this arrow should be recognized and sent back to the sender, before leading to breakages of homes.
- There can also be division among family members, the father or mother against the child, a brother or sister against another or even division or disunity in the church of God. The brethren rising up against one another or against their leaders or sometimes strong clashes among leadership leading to breakages and the starting up of new local assemblies. All these are not the mind of God for us. But if we fail to recognize this arrow and use our authority against it, God will not be responsible for any damages recorded. Pray that the fire of the Holy Ghost will destroy any arrow of division or confusion against your home, family and local congregation in Jesus name.
4. Arrow of character-disorder
- This arrow is making people to misbehave when there is no reason for it or where they should not have misbehaved. John 13:2: And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him; John 13:26-27: Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.
- This arrow was shot against Judas, and he made a move of betraying his master for monetary gain. Under normal circumstances, Judas would not have thought of doing that. But under the influence of this satanic arrow he did it and forfeit the kingdom of God. Many people have lost great opportunity and blessings due to the influence of this arrow.
- We can also see the case of Vashti, who lost the kingdom due to misbehavior. Esther 1:10-12: On the seventh day, when the heart of the king was merry with wine, he commanded Mehuman, Biztha, Harbona, Bigtha, and Abagtha, Zethar, and Carcas, the seven chamberlains that served in the presence of Ahasuerus the king, To bring Vashti the queen before the king with the crown royal, to shew the people and the princes her beauty: for she was fair to look on. But the queen Vashti refused to come at the king's commandment by his chamberlains: therefore was the king very wroth, and his anger burned in him.
- No one could understand why Vashti under a joyful celebration would refuse the king’s request. The king thought of showing off with her beauty, a thing that should make Vashti to feel high and honoured, yet she refused and lost the kingdom. I see this as a satanic arrow against her glory, although it works for the good of Esther and consequently for the good of the whole Jews. This is because God can move through any situation to show goodness to His own people.
5. Arrow of devourer.
- This kind of arrow is sent to attack somebody’s wealth and properties. It can come as a result of sudden mishap resulting in great loses, or a collapse of business with great shortage. Job 1:13-19: And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them: And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
- This arrow entered into Job’s life and all he had labored for over several years were ruined within a shot period of time.
- Other manifestations of this type of arrow is for somebody to be making money, but unable to have good accountability for the money, or whenever somebody who has been saving money for something good and an unexpected bad thing happen that will warrant the diversion of his savings.
- One way God promised to rebuke devourer for our sake is through our faithfulness in paying tithes and offerings. Malachi 3:8-12: Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.
6. Arrow of generational stronghold and curses.
- This kind of arrow is known for causing a cycle of evil within the family. It can be a particular kind of sickness or diseases that is common within a family, or people dying young within a family, having delay in marriage or childbearing, or difficulty in having breakthroughs within the family. It may be as a result of a curse pronounced upon the family or the generation at a particular time. For instance when Elisha pronounced a curse on Gehazi, the curse was also to include the seeds of Gehazi forever. 2 Kings 5:20-6:1: But Gehazi, the servant of Elisha the man of God, said, Behold, my master hath spared Naaman this Syrian, in not receiving at his hands that which he brought: but, as the LORD liveth, I will run after him, and take somewhat of him. So Gehazi followed after Naaman. And when Naaman saw him running after him, he lighted down from the chariot to meet him, and said, Is all well? And he said, All is well. My master hath sent me, saying, Behold, even now there be come to me from mount Ephraim two young men of the sons of the prophets: give them, I pray thee, a talent of silver, and two changes of garments. And Naaman said, Be content, take two talents. And he urged him, and bound two talents of silver in two bags, with two changes of garments, and laid them upon two of his servants; and they bare them before him. And when he came to the tower, he took them from their hand, and bestowed them in the house: and he let the men go, and they departed. But he went in, and stood before his master. And Elisha said unto him, whence comest thou, Gehazi? And he said, Thy servant went no whither. And he said unto him, Went not mine heart with thee, when the man turned again from his chariot to meet thee? Is it a time to receive money, and to receive garments, and oliveyards, and vineyards, and sheep, and oxen, and menservants, and maidservants? The leprosy therefore of Naaman shall cleave unto thee, and unto thy seed for ever. And he went out from his presence a leper as white as snow.
7. Arrow of destiny manipulation.
- This kind of arrow is arranged to alter the divine course of life. Certain wicked people are able to see a bright glory ahead of the person and they can do something to exchange, or prevent the glory from showing forth, and if they are not confronted by the power of the Holy Spirit after experiencing a new birth in Christ, they may cause a permanent damage. The brothers of Joseph were afraid of his dreams because they understood he was going to have a brighter future than them, so they attempted to kill him and eventually sold him to a strange land. If not for God, the divine course of Joseph’s life could have been altered, but God moved through the situations to fulfill His purpose in his life. You too can experience a lasting victory over destiny manipulators by completely surrendering your life to Christ, and praying under Holy Spirit anointing to recover your destiny from the hands of the manipulators.
- Sometimes this kind of arrow will make somebody to experience terrible failures and setbacks in various aspects of lives. There can also be oppositions both in the physical and in the spiritual against somebody’s success and breakthroughs, when under the influence of this kind of arrow.
2. CRITERIA FOR ATTACKS BY FLYING ARROWS
1. Unshielded or unprotected life.
- Certain conditions make somebody to become unshielded and such people can not enjoy divine protection against the arrow of the enemy. This include when a man is not genuinely born again and washed by the blood of Jesus, or when somebody born again is living in one ore more un-confessed or un-repented sins. The only way out is to confess your sins and repent from them all, then to receive Jesus as your Lord and personal saviour.
2. Luke warmness and prayerlessness.
- When a believer is not consistent in serving the Lord fervently, not regular in church attendance and healthy fellowship with other Christians, he will be exposed to attacks by the arrows of the devil. Moreover, carelessness in the area of prayer will make one to be weak spiritually and liable to attacks by satanic arrows.
3. Not putting on the whole armour.
- Ephesians 6:10-13: Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
- God, who understands the nature of our battle, and our inability to fight this battle with our own power, has made available unto us suitable armour, and He is encouraging us to put on the whole armour at all times. Failure to put this armour on or putting on alternative armour would result in defeat and total downfall.
4. Ignorance of satanic devices and of spiritual authority.
- When we are ignorance of satanic devices and strategies, the devil can take advantage of us, and he will succeed in launching several attacks against us and our breakthroughs. God has given us the Holy Spirit who knows every deep and hidden thing and can reveal them to us.
- Another area we could be ignorant is in the area of spiritual authority God has given us over the devil and all his agents. Luke 10:18-19: And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
- Jesus has given us power to challenge and overcome the devil and all his agents; we should therefore be bold to use the power we have to destroy all the works of the enemy in our lives and against our lives.
5. Un-cleared legal grounds
- Sometimes the devil claims a legal ground and basses to carry out his evil plans against us. This is because certain areas where we cooperate with him or give him a chance either consciously or unconsciously make us to loose divine protection and liable to his attack. The Bible says who so ever breaks a hedge, the serpent shall bite him. These legal grounds can come as a result of possession of satanic properties knowingly or unknowingly, which we buy, borrows, or receives as a gift from someone. For instance, there was a case of a lady who receives a satanic ring as a gift, and as a result, she could not be totally delivered from a serious demonic oppression, not until the ring was removed and destroyed.
6. Unforgiven spirit, root of bitterness and malice.
- Colossians 3:9-13: Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
- God gave us instruction in His words not to allow bitterness, anger and unforgiveness. Any time we allow these in our lives show our disobedience to God and the devil can take advantage of those periods to send an arrow against our lives.
3. CONDITIONS FOR OVERCOMING ATTACKS BY FLYING ARROWS
- For us to overcome attacks by flying arrows, we need to take the following step consistently and seriously:
1. Pleading the blood of Jesus for covering.
- The blood of Jesus remains the greatest weapon against the devil that can never loose its potency and power. Revelation 12:11:And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
2. Fervency in prayer and diligent in warfare prayer.
-We must be fervent in our prayers at all times and be diligent in warfare prayers which should be supported with fasting to challenge the devil and to undo all his activities in our lives. James 5:16-18: Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.
3. Clearing all the legal grounds.
- Cancel all former agreements with false prophets and occultist people. If you still have their properties with you, pray very well and release all to a servant of God to destroy. A man came to our meeting one day for deliverance, but was still keeping a special perfume he received from a false prophet in his house. To the glory of God, this secrete was revealed and he was asked to go and bring this material. We burnt it in fire before he could totally be set free. Release all satanic objects and materials within your reach for prayer. These include all objects given to you for power, protection, or good fortune.
4. Maintaining a healthy relationship with Christ.
- Isaiah 54:17: No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.
- Those who walk in God’s righteousness has a covenant of peace, protection and power over their lives, and because God is a covenant keeping God, the attacks of the devil can never prevail over their lives.
5. Extracting all arrows and sending them back.
- All arrows that get into your body by any means must be extracted by the power in the blood of Jesus and sent back to the camp of the enemy. This is always evident by the taking away of previous afflictions and oppressions from the devil.
6. Putting on the whole armour.
- As said before, the whole armour of God is God’s provision for His children, it must be put on at all times in order to be victorious against the wiles of the enemies.
7. Having no fellowship with the works of darkness.
- 2 Corinthians 6:14-18: Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
- We must make up our minds to live for God whole heartedly and consistently, if we will maintain our deliverance and continue to enjoy His divine protection over our lives.