MAKE YOUR CALLING AND ELECTION SURE
Study text: 2 Peter 1:10
- The promises of God for those He has called are great and precious. - 2Pet 1:4; 3:13
- Incumbent upon us is the duty to make our calling and election sure... - 2Pet 1:10
a. Implied is that one's calling and election is conditional
b. That those who have been called need to make their election sure
-Are you making your calling and election sure?
I. YOUR INITIAL CALL AND ELECTION
A. GOD CALLS THROUGH THE GOSPEL.
- God calls us through the gospel - 2Thes 2:14. The gospel of Christ concerning His death, burial and resurrection - 1Cor 15:1-4
- This gospel contains commands that must be obeyed - 2 Thes 1:8; 1Pet 4:17
a. The command to believe in Jesus - John 8:24
b. The command to repent of sins - Acts 17:30-31
c. The command to confess Jesus as Lord - Rom 10:9-10
d. The command to be baptized - Mat 28:19; Mark 16:15-16; Acts 2:38; 22:16
-- Have you responded to the gospel with the obedience of faith? - Rom 1:5; Heb 5:9
B. MAKING SURE YOUR RESPONSE TO THE CALL.
- By obeying all the commands of the gospel
a. Not just the command to believe, but the command to repent
b. Not just the command to confess, but the command to be baptized
- By obeying the commands in a Biblical manner; e.g., have you been:
a. Baptized in the proper mode (immersion, not pouring or sprinkling)?
b. Baptized for the right purpose (for the remission of sins, not as a public profession)?
c. Baptized as a suitable subject (a penitent believer, not as an infant incapable of faith)?
- If your response was different in any way, what should you do?
a. Those baptized improperly were re-baptized - Acts 19:1-5
b. If your baptism was in any way different, you should be concerned - Eph 4:5
c. A Biblical baptism (mode, purpose, and subject) can remove all doubt
-- Make your calling and election sure with a Biblical response to the gospel!
II. YOUR ULTIMATE CALL AND ELECTION
A. MANY ARE CALLED, BUT FEW ARE CHOSEN.
- Jesus taught this truth in several parables
a. The Tares - Mat 13:41-43 b. The Wedding Feast - Mat 22:1-14
c. The Talents - Mat 25:24-30 d. The Vine And The Branches - John 15:1-2
- Note the calling and election of the nation of Israel
- Israel as a whole was called to be God's people - Deut 7:6. But their calling was conditional - Exo 19:5-6. And many individuals failed to live up to their calling - Heb 3:7-11, 16-19
- Similar is the calling and election of the church of God
- The church as a whole are called to be God's people - 1 Pet 2:9-10
- Yet our calling and election as individuals is conditional - Rom 11:22; Rev 2:4-5
- We can become hardened by sin and fall away - Heb 3:12-15
-- We have been called, but will we be chosen at the last day? - Mat 25:34
B. MAKING SURE YOUR ELECTION BY GOD.
1. By being fruitful in the knowledge of Christ - 2Pet 1:5-11
- Adding to our faith such things as virtue, knowledge, self-control
- Abounding in perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, love
2. By growing in grace and knowledge - 2Pet 3:17-18
- Aware of the danger of apostasy
- Standing fast in the grace of Christ
3. By learning from the parables of Jesus
a. Not doing those things that offend, or practice lawlessness (Tares)
b. Adorning ourselves with garments of righteousness (Wedding Feast)
c. Utilizing what talents (abilities, opportunities) Christ has given us (Talents)
d. Bearing fruit in our service to the Lord (Vine and Branches)
-- Will your entrance into the kingdom be abundantly supplied? - 2Pet 1:11
1. It never hurts to ask oneself: "Have I truly responded to the gospel of Christ...?"
a. Was I scripturally baptized into Christ for the remission of my sins?
b. Was my baptism like those depicted in the examples of conversion in the Scriptures?
c. Might I need to be re-baptized like those in Ephesus?
2. It never hurts to ask oneself: "Am I growing in grace...?"
a. Am I abounding in the knowledge of Christ?
b. Am I utilizing what talents Christ has given me?
c. Am I bearing fruit for Christ?
With such questions, one seeks only to "Make Your Calling And Election Sure". Paul expressed it this way: "Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test