"Lord, Teach Us To Pray"
Luke 11:1-4 "So He said to them, “When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.Your kingdom come.Your will be doneOn earth as it is in heaven. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins, For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one.”
Intro: Jesus’ disciples could have asked Him for power to heal the sick, work miracles, cast out demons or the ability to do signs and wonders, instead, they simply asked “Lord, Teach Us To Pray” I believe that their request of Jesus should be ours as well. If we learn how to pray, we’ll have the power and proper perspective to handle many of life’s challenges.
PROPOSITION: IF WE SIMPLY FOLLOW THE SEQUENTIAL ORDER OF THE TEXT I BELIEVE THAT WE CAN HAVE A SUCCESSFUL PRAYER LIFE!
1. Reference God Properly: (11:2a) "Our Father in heaven"
b. Casual, Common, Carnal (no "the man upstairs" etc.
2. Reverence God Name: (11:2b) "Hallowed be Your name"
b. Consecration - set apart
c. No slang, swearing or taking the Lords Name in vain
3. Recognize His Reign: (11:2c) "Your kingdom come.Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven"
a. Complete Control
b. Commandment-not suggestions
4. Rely of His Resources: (11:3) "Give us day by day our daily bread"
a. Carnal things
5. Repent and Resolve Differences: (11:4a) "And forgive us our sins, For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us" ref: (Mt. 6:14-15) "forgive that your prayers be not hindered"
b. Consideration of others
6. Relationship w/God Recues us from sin: (11:4b) "And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one.”
WAC @ Grace Cathedral ~ 12013