- Continuation of previous section on religious leaders Ch. 9:39-41
- The sheepfold – a stone enclosure used by shepherds to protect the flock from danger. It included a single opening where the shepherd would lay across literally becoming the gate or door to the sheep.
- The warning from Jesus vs.1
- thieves - klepthv kleptes klep'-tace – the name is transferred to false teachers, who do not care to instruct men, but abuse their confidence for their own gain
- and robbers – one who steals openly by violence
- Matt. 7:15 “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.”
- 2Peter 2:1 “But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.”
Spiritual leaders from God enter through The Door vs.2
I. Jesus is the Door to the sheep vss. 7&8
A. The pastors of the sheep Psalm 23; Jer. 23:1-4
B. 3 types of false prophet
- the prophet of false hope – Jer 14:13,14.
- the prophet of false peace – Jer 23:16,17,22.
- the prophet of false faith – Jer 23:28-32.
II. Jesus is the Door for the sheep vss. 9&10
A. “…shall be saved” Romans 10:9-15
B. 1John 4:1 “Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.”
C. Don’t let him in – 2John 7-11 “the doctrine of Christ” 1Tim.3:16. The Apostle’s Creed.
D. The prophecy of this book – Rev.22:18,19
Conclusion: Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth: And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead: He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty: From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead:
I believe in the Holy Ghost: I believe in the holy catholic church: the communion of saints: The forgiveness of sins: The resurrection of the body: And the life everlasting. Amen.