The Supreme Task of the Church
THE SUPREME TASK OF THE CHURCH
MARK 16:16; MATTHEW 28:18-20
A. Some may think we say too much about these verses. The late Gus Nichols has a
book with 42 sermons on this one theme--"The Great Commission."
B. Before this service comes to a close--6000 will die in the darkness of all types of
errors and superstitions--that is not the will of Jesus. II Pet. 3:9; Lk. 24:46,47.
C. What is the responsibility of the church--THIS church?
1. "Worshiping society that comes together at members' will?"
2. "Social club interested only in its members?"
3. "Divine organization" to save the lost and strengthen the saved?
I. THE AUTHORITY BEHIND THE TASK.
A. "Who is Jesus that I should obey Him?"
1. The building and owner of the church - Mt. 16:18; Acts 20:28.
2. The only head of the church - Col. 1:18.
3. The saviour of the church - Eph. 5:25; I Jn. 2:2.
4. Some want forgiveness and fellowship without the work of the church.
B. Soul winning is the task God gave the church to do.
C. It is the responsibility of every member alike. Acts 1:8; Psa. 107:2-7.
II. THE EXAMPLES OF WORKING THE TASK.
A. Philip is a great example - Acts 8:35.
1. Some open their mouth for every worthy and unworthy practice.
2. Philip's preaching indicated courage--Stephen was just killed for doing it.
B. Why could Jesus use Philip to save souls?
1. Wasn't because he excelled in education, wealth or personality.
2. He was obedient - Acts 8:26,27.
3. He knew his Bible and His Lord - Acts 8:30-35 (Isa. 53).
4. Had a genuine love for all the lost - Jn. 3:16; I Jn. 5:19.
C. Results of this man's efforts.
1. Man was saved who would have been lost.
2. Philip delivered himself.
3. Gospel went to another nation.
III. THE HINDRANCES TO CARRYING OUT THIS TASK.
A. Hypocrisy - Mt. 23:27-28 (During the civil war some yanks and rebels met to
exchange prisoners, a dim-eyed farmer walked into the room and gave
allegiance to both sides. Then said, "I can live under any government."
B. Unfaithfulness - I Cor. 4:2; Mal. 2:8; I Tim. 4:16; Phil. 1:21.
C. Lack of concern - Psa. 142:4; Jn. 4:35.
D. Lack of vision - Prov. 29:18; Mk. 9:36-38.
IV. THE HELPS FOR CARRYING OUT THE TASK.
A. Devotion to Christ - Jn. 14:15; 21,23
B. Separation - I Cor. 6:19, 20; Rom. 12:1,2; Col. 3:1-3
(Old country preacher said about dedication of new building--"Dedicate the
whole thing." What part do you want me to have in the dedication service was
C. Surrender - Psa. 126:6; Acts 2:42 (We need to be like the precision time piece
that will work in any position.)
A. This hour presents two challenges:
1. To the church--to be busy--you might need to be reclaimed.
2. To alien sinners--to accept God's grace by obeying the gospel. Mk. 16:16.
B. Mark 8:36.
1. No profit to church if wealthy in time, talents, and treasures if it is not
mindful of its task.
2. No profit to you if you die lost--having wasted your life in the devil's