Intro: If you have ever noticed that in a court of Law there is something present that is important in a case that is winnable. There are more than one witness. In the history of God's revealing of Himself to Israel we notice that God has always had a witness. The Law then the Prophets and lastly through the Son. Hebrews 1:1. Today we are looking at two chapters, 10 and 11. We are also going to be talking about God's witness to the nation of Israel through the 2 witnesses that He sends.
1. Revelation 10:1-4 Mighty Angel Discription and Seven thunderous voices
1. What are the Thunderous voices?
1. Psalm 29:3-9 How many voices can you count in description of God? Seven
1. Voice of the Lord is over the waters.
2. The voice of the Lord is powerful.
3. The voice of the Lord is full of majesty
4. The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars
5. The voice of the Lord divides the flames of fire.
6. The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness
7. The voice of the Lord makes the deer give birth.
2. Revelation 10:5-7Pronouncing the seventh angel and that the no more delay shall be. The Mystery of God shall be finished.
1. This would be a message of hope to the martyrs. Finally, the answer to their prayer for justice.
3. Revelation 10:8-11 John told eat the book. It will taste sweet in mouth but bitter as digested.
1. Two ways to look at this.
1. The Word of God is sweet as we taste it, but it becomes bitter as we digest it in our stomachs and are convicted.
2. The Word of the Lord is sweet in our mouths, but as John shares the prophecy with others it is bitter as they won't except it. It is interesting that in this view chapter 11 seems to be an example of what is going on here.
4. Revelation 11:1-6 The Two Witnesses
1. Vss. 1-2 Told to measure the temple.
1. God's people will be preserved
2. The court of the Gentiles, the city will be tread on by the gentiles.
2. Vss. 3-6 The two witnesses- These are the two witnesses from Zechariah 4-5. The Olive trees and the Lampstands probably stood for the priestly offices of Zerubbabel and Joshua. Then it would have been representative of the nation of Israel. God is not dead.
1. They prophesy for 1260 days.
2. Called olive trees
3. If anyone tries to harm them they will be killed by fire, or in the same manner in which they tried to kill them.
5. Revelation 11:7-10 The Witnesses Killed
1. They are killed at the end of their testimony. This is at the end of 3.5 years.
2. They will not be allowed to be buried.
3. This is in Jerusalem which is called Sodom and Egypt.
4. The people will rejoice and party because of the death of the two prophets. It is because of the "torment" they caused.
6. Revelation 11:11-14 The Witnesses Resurrected
1. After 3.5 days they will receive breath from God.
2. They will be reserructed in the sight of everone.
3. In that hour there will be an earthquake and seven thousand people die.
4. The rest fear God and give glory to God.
5. This was the second woe and the third is coming.
7. Revelation 11:15-19 Seventh Trumpet: The Kingdom Proclaimed
1. The seventh angel sounded.
2. They say that the kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ.
3. The Ark of the Covenant is seen in the temple. This is the real one, not the shadow.
1. It would seem that the ark of the Covenant has something to do with the throne of God because of the Mercy Seat. This would be the throne.
2. This is also important because it shows us a reminder of God's faithfulness in remembering His people.
Conclusion: What can we take away from this? The reminder of God's faithfulness to His children. That is very important through hard times. But I do want to conclude by sharing a few practical things from this chapter this week:
1. God's Word- What do we do with it? When we read it, understand that it will be sweet to our mouth. What do we do though when we start to digest it. It will be bitter, it will upset our stomach. We need to let it sink in and change us into the image of Jesus. Also, do we share it with others even though we understand it may be rejected? Ministry can be bitter sweet because of this, but we are called to share the truth in Love.
2. God can use even persecution to bring people to Him. We need to just be sure that the persecution is for doing what is right not from us acting in the flesh.
This will be the case in the end times, but we need to understand that we are living in the prime time right now. We have the help of the Holy Spirit to give us the gifts of His Spirit to witness to the world around us.