Love: Enter and Incarnate
1. Memorize Hebrews 3:12-13 This week.
2. Read Colossians 3:12-17. Ask God to speak to you, and show you how to apply these verses in your relationships.
3. Choose a Relationship where you will begin applying what we are learning together to provide REAL help. This should be applied to all relationships, but let’s make it easy and focus on just one for now. It could be someone in your immediate family. Or, it could be someone with whom you spend time in a small group, or Bible Study. It could be a close relationship, or one that is more formal. Just choose one relationship where you can begin applying what we are learning to provide REAL help for them, and hopefully, them for you.
4. What is the setting in which you spend time with this person? What typically happens when you are together? About what topics do you typically converse? What are the stated or unstated goals? How has this relationship been in providing REAL help in the past? Pray for God to help you be more intentional with this relationship. Ask Him to show you how to apply what we learn from His Word to provide REAL help.
5. The next time you are together, think about how you might Enter their world. Consider what they have shared in the past. What do you think they will be talking about again? Make a conscious effort to not solve problems. Listen for the emotions, interpretations, self-talk, and God-talk. What are they experiencing in their situation. Ask God to give you eyes to see the heart like He does. Ask Him to help you see what they are struggling with in their heart in the midst of their circumstances. What questions might you ask to get to what they are experiencing in their heart? Then, when you are together ask them the questions. And, finally ask them if they are experiencing (what you suspect is going on in their heart).
6. Now Consider how you can incarnate Christ to them. Read Colossians 3:12-14 again. How can you express compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience verbally and NONverbally? Ask God to show you, and to clothe you with Christ so you are a great Ambassador of Him!
7. Get together with that person this week, letting the peace of God rule in your heart, and do it all in the name of Jesus!