May 22, 2016- The Trinity (Part 1)
The preaching of the Trinity is worthwhile, because to know the Trinity is to know God Himself. It is crucial for all Christians to know what we believe about the Trinity, and how we came to know it. The Trinity is not a human conception but a revelation from heaven.
Point 1- To know the Trinity requires special revelation. 1 Corinthians 1:18-21
Point 2- The New Testament assumes the Trinity. 2 Corinthians 13:14, Matthew 28:19
Point 3- The Old Testament contains the Trinity. Genesis 1:26, Psalm 110:1
Point 4- God revealed the Trinity between the writing of the Old and New Testaments.
1. At the birth of Jesus— Luke 1:26-35
2. At the baptism of Jesus— Matthew 3:16-17
3. In the claims of Jesus— John 8:58, 18:4-8
4. In the coming of the Holy Spirit- John 14:16, Acts 2:1-4, 5:3-4
Point 5- “The Oneness of God” and “the Deity of Three” are not contradictory when understood according to the orthodox view of the Trinity. Deuteronomy 6:4, John 10:30
1. Always be ready to give a Biblical reason for believing in the Trinity. Remember some key passages from both the Old and New Testaments. Make special note of the key moments when the Deity of Christ and the Deity of the Spirit were revealed.
2. Continually return to the source of our knowledge of the Trinity, which is the Bible, and spend time contemplating what it reveals concerning the Trinity. Do not merely seek advice from the Bible, but seek God in the Bible, asking Him to reveal to you WHO HE IS.