Thanking the Shepher-Psalm 23
Thanking the Shepherd-Psalm 23
The sheep is the not the most glamorous animal.
We would agree with Ken Davis that we would not want to be a sheep.
They are smelly, timid and dumb animals.
We live in a world that is anti-sheep
Everyone wants to be in charge
We would want to be compared to a more independent animal
But no matter what we want to be, people are sheep
We are needy, lost and prone to do stupid things.
This is where God steps in-he knows us
When we stop trying to be another animal, then he can be our Shepherd
We need to be thankful that he is our Shepherd
When we study Psalm 23 we see why.
- The Shepherds Provisions vs. 1-3a
- He provides all my needs vs. 1
Physical needs-spiritual needs, not what I think I need but what I really need
- He provides rest and contentment vs. 2a
When the chips are down he gives us peace through unbelievable circumstances
- He provides refreshment for my Soul vs. 2b-3a
The Shepherds cup gives a new energy for living.
ILL-Perry going to Morden
- The Shepherds Salvation vs. 3b-
- He led me to the knowledge of Jesus Christ vs. 3b
Where God leads there are only good things, why do we think otherwise?
- He is glorified through our righteousness vs. 3c
God is easily satisfied, He is honored by something we did selfishly.
ILL-Driving in Minneapolis-trusting the signs.
- The Shepherds Guidance vs. 4
- I will go through troubles vs. 4a
It should be assumed that life will not be a rose garden
- He never leaves me-I have nothing to fear vs. 4b
We are holding the hand of God-Ken Davis, “I’m with Him.”
- I am comforted by your Staff vs. 4c
- Counting: keeps track of me * Guiding: Concerned for my well-being
- Rescuing: Keeps me from danger
- Protecting: Saves us from others
ILL-tragedy in our Church.
- The Shepherds Protection vs. 5
- He makes a covenant to care vs. 5a
He makes a kingly agreement to protect us.
- He honors me with oil vs. 5b
He treats me in a way that I could never understand
- He gives me more than I could ever want or expect vs. 5c
God’s ability to overwhelm us has no ending.
ILL-My own mistakes.
- The Shepherds Provisions-2 vs. 6
- The Lords goodness and Love pursues me vs. 6a
God chases after us like a love-sick person
- I am a member of His family-Heaven is my home. vs. 6b
God gives us a home that is beyond our imagination.
We have a lot to be thankful for
Provides our needs, gives us salvation, guides us, and protects us
Being a sheep may not be glamorous.
Sheep may be looked down upon
Sheep may be a little dumb
I would rather be a sheep than any other thing-because I am led by the good shepherd.
I am thankful today because my Shepherd-Jesus Christ is leading me
I will follow him anywhere he goes.
The Good Shepherd provides our needs. Vs. 1-3
· He provides all our needs. Vs. 1
· He provides rest and contentment. Vs. 2a
· He provides refreshment for our soul. Vs. 2b-3
The Good Shepherd guides us through trouble. Vs. 4.
· We will all go through tragedy. Vs 4a.
· God promises that he will never leave us. Vs. 4b.
· God provides reassurance in tragedy. Vs. 4c.
The Good Shepherd protects us. Vs. 5.
· God makes a covenant to care. Vs. 5a.
· God restores those who are suffering. Vs. 5b.
· God gives us all we need. Vs. 5c.
The Good Shepherd gives us gifts. Vs. 6.
· God’s love reaches out to us. Vs. 6a.
God gives us an eternal rest. Vs. 6b.