Heaven - Why I Want to Go to Heaven-Rev Ed
Thesis: To prove that Heaven is surely worth it all.
(1) Little boy: “I want to go to Heaven, but not now.”
(2) Paul’s desire was to go to Heaven: “Having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better” (Phil. 1.23b).
(3) We shall focus upon those who will be there.
I. Those who will be there:
A. Biblical Heroes will be there.
1. On the Mount of Transfiguration, Moses and Elijah appeared with Christ (Matt. 17.3).
2. Imagine the conversations you could have with Noah, Moses, Abraham, Daniel, Job, Paul, Peter, etc.
B. Our loved ones in Christ will be there.
1. David, lamenting over his son’s death, stated, “But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me” (2 Sam. 12.23).
2. Paul would often rejoice over his converts knowing that one day he would see them in Heaven (cf. Phil. 4.1; 2 Cor. 4.14).
3. The rich man recognized Lazarus (Luke 16.19-31).
4. We can go to our loved ones in Christ.
C. Our Savior will be there.
1. We can then see and personally thank him for dying for us.
2. As a matter of fact, we will be able to sit with Him (Eph. 2.6).
D. Our God will be there.
1. No man has ever been able to look upon the face of God (cf. John 1.18).
2. But now, we will be able to look upon Him as He “Himself will be among them” (Rev. 21.3).
3. We will be able to look upon the face that epitomizes the definition of love.
a. “God is love” (1 John 4.8).
b. That love will radiate and as if it were a sun lighting the whole realm of Heaven (Rev. 21.23).
c. No wonder all who has even come into contact with a glimpse has fallen to their knees in adoration (e.g., Rev. 7.11 – angels fell on their faces and worshipped).
II. Things that will be there:
A. It will be a city of gold (Rev. 21.18).
B. It will be a place where one is free of pain (Rev. 21.4).
C. It will be a place free of sin (Rev. 21.27).
D. It will truly be a place of rest for one’s soul (cf. Matt. 11.28-30; John 14.1-3).
(1) We can go to this place because of God’s amazing grace.
(2) One unknown author wrote:
I’ve purchased a town lot in Heaven
On the city not built with hand
I’m sending material daily
To build in that happy land
I’d like a mansion on Main Street
Where streets are all paved with gold
With a clear view of the pearly gates
Where Christ takes care of the soul
I want to send good material
That will stand the test of time
So I’ll not be disappointed
When I reach that home sublime
Prayer is for the foundation
Faith and love for the walls
Good deeds for the reinforcement
That will stand when the Savior calls
I would like you for my neighbor
In that city so divine
Maybe just across the street
Or your home close to mine
Up there we will know no sorrow
Tears will never dim the eyes
There we will rest in peace forever
In that happy home on high
So my friends, start to building
Your home beyond the sky
Where we can all be together
In the sweet by and by
(3) Let us walk hand-in-hand together to Heaven.