A Sure Sign
soNormal align=center style='text-align:center'>A SURE SIGNUTAWALA BAPTIST CHURCH
I PETER 4:12-19
Scripture Reading I Peter 4:16-18
I. EXPECT SUFFERING I PETER 4:12
· I Cor 4:14
Such compassion and love provide GREAT comfort to the Christian in times of trial.
· Severe trials can tempt one to doubt God!
o JOB2:9 Curse God and Die!
· DO NOT BE SURPRISED!
o Tells us what to expect
o The Gospel of Christ will be offensive to many!
o Believers should never be shocked by persecution.
· Some Strange Thing (a surprising thing)
o We as believers should not be surprised.
o As believers are true to God’s Word and effective in proclaiming the Gospel hostility from unbelievers is sure to come.
§ II COR 2:15-17
o Whether it is hostility to our exclusive message, our efforts to evangelize or our hopefully godly lifestyle, we as believers need to remember that hardship is a result a of biblical faith.
o II Tim 2:3-4
· FIERY ORDEAL
o The phrase pictures a painful experience or persecution.
o Also used to describe a furnace used to melt down metal to purge it of impurities.
§ PSALM 66:10
o Consuming FIRE of Malachi 4:1
II. EXULT IN SUFFERING I PETER 4:13-14
o Rejoice In
o SOMETIMES VERY HARD TO DO!
o TO THE DEGREE
o According to which
§ Shows the Christians eternal reward is proportionate to their earthly suffering!
§ LUKE 6:22-23
o SHARE THE SUFFERINGS OF CHRIST
o This sharing or work has nothing to do with our salvation.
o It refers to the believer experiencing the same kind of suffering Christ experienced.
o SUFFERING FOR WHAT IS RIGHT!
o JOHN 15:20-21
o KEEP ON REJOICING
o A totally strange thought for those who have no hope of Heaven!
o But promised by our Savior Jesus Christ when he said:
§ Matt 5:10-12
o REVELATION OF HIS GLORY
o This will take place on the day that the Son of Man is revealed!
§ LUKE 17:30
§ Those who share in His sufferings will also share in His GLORIES!
· In the amount that they shared in His sufferings!
o II COR 4:16-18
III. EVALUATE SUFFERING I PETER 4:15-18
· Not all suffering brings relief or strengthening from God!
· Suffering because of lawlessness obviously is not “SUFFERING FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS”
· If we suffer as a murderer, thief or evildoer we have no right to complain of punishment or right to expect relief from God.
· But why meddler or busybody?
· A gossip!
· Seems minor in comparison with the other offences!
· Troublesome meddler is only used here in the New Testament.
· Its being included shows us all sins not only crimes forfeit the Holy Spirit’s comfort and rest.
· I THESS 4:11
· II THESS 3:11-12
· Christians are never to be troublemakers or agitators in society or the workplace.
· We need to confront in the lives of those around us, challenge unbelievers with the Gospel and exhort fellow believers to righteousness.
· BUT NEVER INTRUDE INTO OTHERS PRRIVATE LIVES INAPPROPRIATLY!
IV. ENTRUST SUFFERING I PETER 4:19
· Therefore shows the reader the obvious duty he has in his suffering.
o IT IS TELLING US:
o Because of the things we have seen previously we need to do the following!
· SUFFER ACCORDING TO THE WILL OF GOD
o God uses hardships and sufferings to strengthen us and mold us into the Christians HE wants us to be.
o We must remember both God’s sovereignty as well as His love for us.
o We are not talking of sin we have committed and troubles that result because of it.
o Is a banking term referring to a deposit for safekeeping.
o We are properly concerned over the trustworthiness of someone looking over our finances or physical property.
o Jesus uses the same word on the cross:
o LUKE 23:46
o We are encouraged to remember that the one to whom we are to entrust our souls is the FAITHFUL CREATOR.
· Only God is completely faithful “IN DOING WHAT IS RIGHT”.
o Who could be better than the trustworthy CREATOR?
o Because God is faithful to Himself and to His own promises the believer’s souls are to be at rest in His power and purpose!
God has a plan and purpose for each of us and as believers we need to look to HIM for strength and guidance as troubles come our way!
I PETER 1:3-5
IF YOU ARE NOT A BELIEVER!