· Series Premise
· Review Last Week
o His Heart, My Heart
§ Pure Heart
§ Purify by:
· Baptism in HG
· Stir up the Spirit
· Embrace trials and grow from them
· Regularly flush with living water.
· Today I want to explore another aspect of finding God’s Heart. It goes with last week, because it requires a pure heart – one washed continually in Jesus (living water) and a stirred up Spirit inside of us to accomplish it.
· The foundational text we’ve been using:
· Acts 13:22 (KJV) 22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.
· So David found God’s heart – God said so himself – by being a man who would “fulfill all of God’s will”.
· So what did David do? Compile a list of God’s commandments and simply obey them?
· EXAMPLE –
· Original says “carved image”. Man, I can’t carve anyway.
· You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
· Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
· You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.
· Will I find His heart by simply following the rules – even if I don’t understand them or why they exist?
· Acts 13:22 (KJV) 22 . . . to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.
· “FULFILL” – poy-eh’-o – to bring about, to make happen
· “WILL” – “thel’-ay-mah – pleasure towards that which is liked, that which pleases and creates joy.
· So its NOT simply following the rules!
· Matthew 7:21 (HCSB) 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord!’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but ⌊only⌋ the one who does the will of My Father in heaven.
· The Greek for “does” and “will” are exactly the same in this verse – SO if I want to get into His kingdom, I need to figure out AND DO what pleases Him.
· Paul understood this concept and wrote to the church at Colossi, saying this:
· Colossians 1:9-10 (NIV2011) 9 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, 10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,