Douwene’s Dad supported himself on the mission field by selling pots and pans. The difference between his product and all others was the lifetime guarantee. After 20 years one of our handles broke. So, we sent it in and the replaced it. However, it did break. Our salvation comes with a better guarantee than that.
ESV 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
· When Peter says, “Blessed be …” what is he doing? Praying, praising, or lamenting? Why? What has he just thought about? [Peter has just thought about God’s … May grace and peace be multiplied to you.]
· What type of hope do we have?
· How did we get that hope?
· What has God accomplished according to his great mercy?
· How does the death, burial, and resurrection factor into our spiritual rebirth?
Many years ago a man took his old worn out Musket to a gunsmith for repair. The gunsmith wanted to know what type of repair he wanted. The answer was complete. From there comes a British phrase that Douwene and I grew up with. Lock, stock, and barrel. file:///C:/Users/Nevil/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpgWhat part of us lives after baptism? We have been completely replaced. It is now Christ who lives it us.
ESV 4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you,
4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you,
· What are the 3 qualities of our inheritance?
o List at least 1 synonym for each.
o Why would this be of special comfort to these religious refugees?
· What is the address of the location of this inheritance?
Our inheritance is spiritual not physical. Imagine on Christmas day opening gifts of love, respect, and faith. Many of us of leaving our children with the wrong type of inheritance. Our inheritance should be a legacy of faith, hope, and love. While removing bad attitudes and disrespect. The only permanent gift we can leave our children is love.
Tomorrow we drive down to OK City and Houston. That is the gift we hope to leave with our children.
ESV 5 who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
5 who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
· What is God’s power doing?
· What is the means through which this is being achieved?
· Our salvation is both a current new birth and a future promise. When will this “salvation promise” be revealed?
God protects us just like our eyelid protects our eye. אִישׁ
(ESV) — 9 But the Lord’s portion is his people, Jacob his allotted heritage. 10 “He found him in a desert land, and in the howling waste of the wilderness; he encircled him, he cared for him, he kept him as the apple [אִישׁ֥וֹן] of his eye. Literally, every time you blink, you can thank God for His protection.