holiness unto the Lord
Holiness Unto The Lord!
1 John 3:4 through 1 John 3:10 (NIV)
I. 4Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
II. 7Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. III. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. IV. 10This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.
Introduction: The purity of the Messiah demands the purity of His people. Just as the devil works to promote sin and death, so a life under the redeeming hand of Jesus will bear the marks of holiness of life. To be holy is to lead a normal Christian life, but oh so many plead for the right to sin, while naming the name of Christ. This is not normal, but contrary to the Christian life. We need a fresh awakening of what it means to be a normal Christian.
I. Behold The Purity Of The Messiah.
A. Not Mixed With Sin
- Holy Lamb of God, Spotless
- The only way to preserve the atonement is to maintain the Holiness of Christ
- Behold! the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.
B. Not A Minister Of Sin
- Jesus is not a front man. The Cover for sin.
- It is evident that the ministry of Jesus is to unmask our sin that it can be dealt with, not that we may have our consciences awakened and then be excused.
II. Beware The Perversion Of The Message.
A. Compromising Scripture
From the very beginning, scripture tells us to depart from evil. How can we say suddenly that it was all a mistake. The message of scripture has not changed from beginning to end. Those who name the name of the Lord must depart from iniquity. Some would try to make the New Testament refute the Old, as if what the Old testament has said is irrelevant.
- Instead of scripture measuring the man, the experience of man is made the measure of Scripture.
we like to say our righteousness is always as filthy rags, and that we all fall short of the glory of God. but what about:
1 Peter 1:16 (NIV)
16for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
2 Peter 3:11 (NIV)
11Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives
2 Timothy 1:8 through 2 Timothy 1:9 (NIV)
8So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, 9who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,
1 Thessalonians 4:7 (NIV)
7For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.
-What about the examples attested to in Scripture who are there for us to take an example from. What about Enoch, and Noah, who the Word of God declares righteous. What about David, who though he sinned, found forgiveness, and was called a "man after God's own heart." What about Elizabeth and Zecheriah who were declared righteous in Scripture, and then there was simon and Anna who were at the Temple when Mary presented Jesus when He was a babe.
B. Compromising With Sin
- Wanting forgiveness for sin without the need for true cleansing. Kind of like wanting your cake and eating it too.
- The flag got ahead of the troops "General, have the banner come back to the troops." …….."No, bring the troops up to the banner.
III. Believe The Purpose Of The Mission.
A. To Conquer the Devil
- Believe that greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.
- Do you believe that Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil, which from the beginning, in the garden of Eden, when it was his work to destroy man through sin, but God said that through Her seed (sing.) the serpent's head would be crushed.
B. To Create a Holy People
Exodus 19:6 (NIV)
6you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”
Titus 2:14 (NIV)
14who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.
IV. Bear The Proof Of Membership
A. The Mark Of Righteousness
2 Timothy 2:19 (NIV)
19Nevertheless, God’s solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.”
1 John 4:17 (NIV)
17In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him.
B. The Mark Of Love
To dwell above with saints we love,
That will be grace and glory.
To live below with saints we know;
Well, that's another story!
John 13:35 (NIV)
35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
* According to a legend, a desert wanderer found a crystal spring of unsurpassed freshness. The water was so pure that he decided to bring some to his king. Barely satisfying his own thirst, he filled a leather bottle with the water and carried it many days beneath the desert sun before he reached the palace.
When he finally laid his offering at the feet of his sovereign, the water had become stale because of the old container in which it had been stored. But the king would not let his faithful subject even imagine that it was unfit for use. He tasted it with expressions of gratitude and delight, and the loyal man went away with a heart filled with gladness.
After he had gone, others sampled the water and expressed their surprise that the king had even pretended to enjoy it. "Ah," said he, "it was not the water I tasted, but the love that prompted the offering."
Conclusion: If we are to name the name of Christ, we must take a stand for holiness of heart and life through the work of the Savior and quit making excuses for sin. We must be holy as He is holy.
1 Thessalonians 5:23 through 1 Thessalonians 5:24 (NIV)
23May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.