"Taking Your Life Off 'Pause'"
November 18, 2001
The secret of true power? Ready for this? The holding of the remote
It is easy to place your life on hold - to press the pause button and instead of enjoying the moment God has given you or seeing your life unfold as God intended, your life has come to a screeching halt. Or, you may even like to hit "REWIND" and get caught up in reviewing past events instead of moving through life the way God wants you to.
REASONS PEOPLE PUT THEIR LIVES ON PAUSE
- They don't understand the importance of what is happening right now!
It happened the night Jesus was arrested. He wanted to spend time in prayer with His Father and He wanted to be with his closest friends, Peter, James & John.
· 3 times Jesus comes over to them to find them sleeping instead of praying. Spiritually, their lives are on pause - on hold.
· They're not focused. They're tired. They're a little too comfortable for their own good. They've pressed "hold" instead of "play".
"Rise, let us go! Here comes my betrayer!"" (Matthew 26:46 NIV)
- They've been frightened about the future because of a past event.
True story of Japanese fishing trawler that was sunk a few years ago. Know how? By a cow that fell out of the sky.
- Russian cargo plane was hauling some cattle when they became agitated - there was a danger of the losing control of the plane. Crew decided to open the cargo door and eliminate the problems.
- The Japanese fishing boat crew heard the sound every fisherman dreads - the sound of a 1000 pounds of beef mooing as it falls from the sky at 100 mph and punches a hole in your boat.
- Can you imagine how sad it would be if these fishermen become so fearful of future falling cow incidents that they cant bring themselves to get back out in the ocean again?
- They're embarrassed about the past, because of a mistake they made.
"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead," (Philippians 3:13 NIV)
- They're just satisfied with the present situation.
- Man was paralyzed for 38 years
- Jesus felt the need to ask him, "Do you want to be healed?"
- Why that question if there wasn't some kind of weird comfort that had developed from his situation in life.
- Sounds like he'd just accepted as fact that this is your life -- things will never be any different than they are now!
- Easy to become immobilized in life.
- Don't let that happen to you.
- If it has, ask God to push the "play" button on your heart -- move you into the wonderful life He has planned for you
"Jesus told him, "Stand up, roll up your sleeping mat and go on home!"" (John 5:8 TLB)
What I'm asking you to consider today:
· Ask Jesus to come into your life and take control. Ask him to forgive you of our past mistakes, deliver you from your fears and apathy, and fill your life with the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.
· If you already know Jesus, ask Him this morning to give you back the joy of your salvation - renew your love and passion for Him and His plan for your life.
· Let someone know if you have made either one of those decisions:
- Step out of the row where you're standing and come tell me or just come and kneel and pray.
- Write a note on your card before you drop it into the offering