Text: 1 Samuel 17
Thesis: To learn how to overcome our giants by being God-focused.
(1) Like David, we all have our giants that we face on a regular basis.
(2) According to 1 Samuel 17:40, David chose five smooth stones as he prepared to battle Goliath.
(3) Let us note the five stones that David used to beat Goliath.
I. The Stone of the Past
A. Previously, David had killed both lion and bear as he shepherded his father’s sheep (1 Sam. 17:34-36).
B. “Remember His marvelous works which He has done” (1 Chron. 16:12).
II. The Stone of Prayer
A. “Prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long” (Eph. 6:18, MSG).
B. David believed in prayer (e.g., 1 Sam. 30:6; Psa. 59:16; Psa. 57:1-2).
III. The Stone of Priority
A. David’s motivation = “all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. Then all this assembly shall know that the Lord does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord’s” (1 Sam. 17:46-47)
B. Cf. Matt. 5:16
IV. The Stone of Passion
A. David ran toward the giant (1 Sam. 17:48-49).
B. Cf. Rom. 8:31
V. The Stone of Persistence
A. Goliath had 4 relatives – 2 Sam. 21:16-22
1. Ishbi-benob – bronze spearhead weighed more than seven pounds
3. Goliath’s brother – handle of his spear was a thick as a weaver’s beam
4. One with 24 toes & 24 fingers
B. Cf. 1 Cor. 15:58
- Focus on giants, you stumble
- Focus on God, your giants tumble