Back to the Basics - Life After Baptism
Thesis: To stress the necessity of living for God after becoming His child.
(1) Although we don’t teach once saved always saved with our words, our actions often indicate that we hold to such a view.
(2) The church is guilty of leaving our newborn babes without guidance.
(3) After baptism, then what?
I. Burn Your Bridges Behind You
A. The old man/woman of sin is to be crucified with Christ (Gal. 2:20).
1. This takes place in the watery grave of baptism (Rom. 6:3-5).
2. We rise up a “new creature” (2 Cor. 5:17).
B. We must forget what lies behind and reach forward to what lies ahead (Phil. 3:13).
II. Grow in the Knowledge of God
A. We must grow in the grace and knowledge of God (2 Pet. 3:18).
B. We grow as babes through spiritual milk (1 Pet. 2:2).
C. At some point, we must go grow into a mature Christian (Heb. 5:12ff.).
III. Keep the Communication Line Open
A. We are to pray without ceasing (1 Thess. 5:17).
B. This blessing is now available to us (1 Pet. 3:12).
IV. Share the Fellowship of the Saints
A. We are to come together often to exhort one another (Heb. 10:24-25).
B. The early church did this daily (Acts 2:42ff.).
C. We must contribute to the body (1 Cor. 12).
V. Win Others to Christ
A. Jesus’ mission was to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10).
B. This is also the mission that He gave to us (Matt. 28:19-20).
There is life after baptism! Are you living for Christ?