Transforming the Essence of Prayer
- In our own power we lack the facilities to really impact anything with our prayer.
- We become self-centered, even with good intentions.
- Matt. 20:20; James and John's mom comes and asks of Jesus, "Command that in Your kingdom these two sons of mine may sit one on Your right and one on Your left"
- John 14:8; Philip asks of Jesus, "Lord, show us the Father."
- And others. We tend to shift our focus on ourselves.
An Early Tradition Re-Visited (Acts 1:6-7)
- Request was for the socio-political conquering Messiah. A selfish request to rid the world of enemies.
- "Take us with you"
A New Impactful Prayer
- What emerges after the promise of the Holy Spirit is a new essence of prayer that is impactful and meaningful.
- This type of prayer has three elements
- It requires us to initiate a conversation with God
- It requires our hearts to be in "one accord" with God's plan
- It requires the Trinity; God to hear, Jesus to intercede, Holy Spirit to focus our hearts.
What Brought The Change?
- The promise of the Holy Spirit changed their prayers somewhat. (v. 24). From take us with you, and what should be, "pick me, pick me" to "Lord, who would you have"
- This is praying in "one accord"
The Result of Impactful Prayer (Acts 2:47)
- Makes an impact
- cf. w/ Mark 9:14-29 where they forgot to pray.