- The story is told of a man… a man who desperately wanted to trust in God.
- Throughout his life He tested.
- Late in life he was awaken from his sleep by a rap at the door… it was a Police Officer
- The river was rising and there was fear of flooding
- …continued to rise… hip waders
- …continued to rise… Canoe
- …continued to rise… Power Boat
- …continued to rise… Helicopter
- …continued to rise… perished
- He met God… ask why He had not rescued Him?
- Hip Waders, Canoe, Power Boat, Helicopter
- God promises to save us…. Rescue Us…
Biblical: Mark 2:17 And hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick; I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 "This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 "For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 "But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."
- Sin, Judgement and Hell are realitites…
- The world doesn’t want to deal with it…
- It’s not nice, polite, tolerant….
- In the Mark passage I just read… it talks about the sick needing a physician… No matter how welll you think you are… you can’t wish away an illness… ignore it…
- Like the man in the house… flood waters rising and he denied the problem and he denied God’s solution
- We can’t just ignore Sin, Judgement and Hell they won’t just go away…
- But we can believe in Jesus Christ
- The One who Rescues us from Sin, Judgement and Hell.
Bridge: Believe and Not Perish
Believe and Not Be Judged
Believe and have eternal life
Believe and not perish….
- Rescued from Sin
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- We like the dramatic rescues…
- The little girl trapped in a well in Texas…
- The servicemen trapped behind enemy lines
- Cat from a tree
- Apart from God
- Romans 8:6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace.
- We hate to see ‘innocent’ people – caught in the crossfire… collateral damage… “jaws of life to free a passenger…. We are the driver!!”
- Jesus came not to rescue us from some precipice that some one else took us to…
- He came to rescue us from our rebellious nature… our separation from God
- OUR SIN… is that what we do in opposition to God.
- Our Rescuer is Jesus Christ
Believe and not be judged…
- Rescued from Judgement
- Psalm 7:11 God is a just judge, And God is angry with the wicked every day.
- If we are apart from God… “For the mind set on the flesh is death” then we face the wrath… the judgment of a just God…
- We would not want it any other way…
- We don’t want an arbitrary God… one that acts inconsistently… YIKES!
- Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
- I hate it when the rules keep changing…
- Imagine being stopped for something that was legal but now is not… and maybe tomorrow will be okay again… (School Zones)
- But we want murder and assault, fraud and rape to consistently be wrong…
- God is consistent… those things that are unholy… are unholy… those things that are wrong… are wrong…
- But we have been ensnared… (Glad that police slow the crazy driver… but upset when we make a mistake)
- Jesus promises to rescue us from our sin… Believing in him… trusting in him…
- Rescues us from the judgement… 2 Corinthians 5:21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
- Our Rescuer is Jesus Christ
Believe and have eternal life…
- Rescued from hell
Hell—the place of eternal torment
A. Described as:
NAU Matthew 25:41 "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
NAU Matthew 25:46 "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
NAU Matthew 8:12 but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
NAU 2 Thessalonians 1:9 These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,
Lake of fire
NAU Revelation 19:20 And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with brimstone.
B. Prepared for:
Devil and his angels Matt. 25:41
Wicked Rev. 21:8
Disobedient Rom. 2:8, 9
Fallen angels 2 Pet. 2:4
Beast and the false prophet Rev. 19:20
Worshipers of the beast Rev. 14:11
Rejectors of the Gospel Jesus sends his disciples out to share the Good News… the promise of hope… and tells. Them that those who don’t receive them and the message of Good News… Matthew 10:15 "Truly I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city.
C. Punishment of, described as:
Bodily Matt. 5:29, 30
In the soul Matt. 10:28
This isn’t about fire insurance…
Hell sounds kind of awful… so guess I had better… to the God thing…
It is about recognizing the Rescuer… the only begotten Son (of God), for whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.
It makes sense to know your rescuer
The one who Rescues you from Sin
The one who Rescues you from Judgment
The one who rescues you form Hell
Jesus Christ… the Son of God