- Harrowing moments in a movie…
- The intensity… support by the urgent sounding music…
- The masked kidnappers strike…
- They have been following the bank presidents daughter for days…
- Now when she least expects it they pounce…
- As she makes he way from the mall to her mom’s car they spring the trap…
- They grab her and whisk her away… tires spinning
- They have her ferreted away…
- Then the demands… money… when where… how valuable is this life?
- We sit on the edge of our seat hoping now one will die…
- Waiting to see how this ransom situation is dealt with!
- We have come face to face with this type of situation…
- We were held hostage… not by mask men… but by our own sin… there was a ransom for our freedom…
- It was not within our capacity to pay it!
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.
- What they pay for you…
- Your family gets the call…
- Would they trade life for life…
- Surely one might die for a good man….
- Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
- We have been ransomed…
- An exorbitant price paid…
- The Righteous for un righteous
- Fear can melt away…
- Imagine not knowing… will the pay… can they pay…will I ever be free
- In Christ we have been ransomed… redeemed…
- Ransomed…. Redeemed… results
- Ransomed and Redeemed the Reason
- Freed for a Purpose
7 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known to us the mystery of his will, Redemption….
- Agorazo… bought… price paid
- Exagorazo… bought out of… not just paid
- Luo… loose… free… ransom
- Our word…
- Freed from…
- Called out…
- From world
- From flesh
- From death
- NAU Hebrews 10:9 then He said, "BEHOLD, I HAVE COME TO DO YOUR WILL." He takes away the first in order to establish the second. 10 By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. * Offering to the Father
- Justice demands a price (how valuable is that life anyway?)
- In the economy of forgiveness… someone pays
- No retribution, no fee, no cost… it cost’s someone
- (FREE mints at the restaurant)
- NAU Ephesians 5:2 and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
- There was a transaction
- A payment WAS made
- Exchange… righteousness for sin
- Bought from bondage… like a slave set free
- NAU 1 Peter 1:18 knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, 19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.
- Not of us… like election, like grace it originates with God
- What we have is futile…
- We can’t buy…. We don’t have the currency (laugh at the loonie)… currency of righteousness
- NAU Revelation 5:8 When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9 And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation. 10 "You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth."
- Not every man….
- But all who have been saved from every people group.
- Inheritance… Kingdom… Priests… Rulers… Son and Daughters
- Result# 1 Forgiveness
- Aphiemi… send away… cancel a debt
- Zero balance (Visa commercial)
- Not a little or a bit…. Zero
- Sin taken away… relocated
- Not Jesus and….
- Not Jesus plus…
- NAU Matthew 26:28 for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.
- Again not all…
- Again to forgive…. Separate us from sin
- NAU Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
- No longer… out of sight… no effect…. Cleansed… not just swept under the rug
o As far as possible
o Evil and vile…. No part in Him
o NAU Acts 13:38 "Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through Him forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, 39 and through Him everyone who believes is freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the Law of Moses.
- Free from hold
- Free from consequence
- Freed from stain
- Freed… Freed
- Through Him in forgiveness
- Justified… redeemed…
- Forgiveness… is for Christ’s sake
- NAU 1 John 2:12 I am writing to you, little children, because your sins have been forgiven you for His name's sake.
- Not about us 1st
- Remember God’s story to God’s Glory
- It is to declare his Love, Holiness, Justice, Glory
- Forgiveness… is by Grace
- We can’t out sin God’s mercy
- NAU Romans 5:20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,
- Grace is sufficient!
- It is boundless! We can not out sin God’s forgiveness!
- NAU Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?
- Not the response of the elect…
- We separate when we know…. Personal Holiness
- This is unmerited favour of God that brings forgiveness
- Result#1… of Redemption is Forgiveness
- Result #2 Wisdom and Insight
- Wisdom – Sophia… eternal things
- Insight – Phronesis… practical things
- NAU 1 Corinthians 2:6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; 7 but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory;…1 Corinthians 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
- Not only forgiveness…
- The tools to live the life He calls us to…
- Wisdom and Insight
- NAU Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus said, "I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants.
- World intelligence… hidden…
- Revealed to the children of God…
- Of God… not Human creation
- NAU James 1:5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
- God doesn’t make you smarter
- God makes us wiser
- In the Word… not Smarter Wiser
- John 16:13 "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.
- Spirit leads us to truth…
- Mystery… knowledge made known by God
- V. 9 making known to us the mystery of his will,
- Redemption… ransomed
- Forgiveness… Wisdom
- Bought for a Purpose
- Freed for a Reason
Ransomed… for a price
The Redemptive Reason…
8 which he lavished upon us, the riches of his grace,
in all wisdom and insight 9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.
- His plan is set forth in Christ
- No mistake… preordained…. Foundations of the earth…
- In all Wisdom and insight….
- God’s plan…
- For his Elect…
- For His World
- Has purpose
- Remember it is to bring Glory to God v.6
- NAU Philippians 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- The Son glorifies the Father and Father exalts the Son
- And the redeemed Glorify the Father in the Spirit… in Christ!
- NAU Hebrews 1:8 But of the Son He says, "YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER, AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM. 9 "YOU HAVE LOVED RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HATED LAWLESSNESS; THEREFORE GOD, YOUR GOD, HAS ANOINTED YOU WITH THE OIL OF GLADNESS ABOVE YOUR COMPANIONS." 10 And, "YOU, LORD, IN THE BEGINNING LAID THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH, AND THE HEAVENS ARE THE WORKS OF YOUR HANDS; 11 THEY WILL PERISH, BUT YOU REMAIN; AND THEY ALL WILL BECOME OLD LIKE A GARMENT, 12 AND LIKE A MANTLE YOU WILL ROLL THEM UP; LIKE A GARMENT THEY WILL ALSO BE CHANGED. BUT YOU ARE THE SAME, AND YOUR YEARS WILL NOT COME TO AN END." 13 But to which of the angels has He ever said, "SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND, UNTIL I MAKE YOUR ENEMIES A FOOTSTOOL FOR YOUR FEET "?
- Redemptive purpose…
- We are to glorify
- God is to be glorified
- Son exalted
- Nature of God recognized
- NAU John 12:31 "Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.
- It is not that all will be chosen….
- But all will BOW!
- Those who oppose God will be cast away!
- NAU Revelation 20:3 and he threw him into the abyss, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he would not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were completed; after these things he must be released for a short time.
- God’s plan brings all things to submission in Christ
- NAU Revelation 20:10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
- The Redemptive Plan
- To save Some
- To Glorify God
- To declare his Nature
- Sin will be receive its due….
- Either Sinners ransomed in Christ
- Or Sinners suffering in Hell
- For the Redeemed it is Christ!
- The Redemptive Reason…. Is to glorify God through the salvation of his Children
- Price paid in exchange for our freedom
- Sin for righteousness
- Result#1 Forgiveness
- Cancelled debt… separated
- Result# 2 Wisdom and Insight
- Beyond earthly knowledge
- To know God
The Redemptive Reason…
- Glory to God
- Election… Adoption… Redemption
- God’s God and Perfect will as a testimony to his Glory…
- Life of in the light of Glory…
- What is the value of a life… if that life brings the light of the glory God?
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,
To the saints who are in Ephesus, and are faithful in Christ Jesus: 2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.