37(Haggai 2,06-09) GET TO WORK ON THE LORD'S HOUSE
INTRODUCTION: Review Haggai 1
I. A PAST TEMPLE THAT IS ADORED (Haggai 2:1-3)
A. There Was A Great Challenge That Could Not Be Evaded.
1. Yes, a great challenge, but a challenge that cannot be avoided. The challenge was that of rebuilding the Temple. Like Israel, we too are confronted with:
a. Limited Materials
b. Limited Manpower
2. What is it going to take?
a. SACRIFICE - is what it is going to take to rebuild this house:
b. SOUL WINNING - is the only way to rebuild this house; it is going to take:
(1) Total preparation
(2) Total penetration
(3) Total participation
3. And even though it is going to be a strenuous, a stressful, and a superb task, it is one that God wants accomplished.
B. There Was A Grand Comparison That Could Not Be Equaled. (2:3)
1. The Temple Haggai is referring to is Solomon's Temple.
2. Solomon's Temple was built for the Lord to be glorified in it and there was none like it before it was built, nor since it was built.
3. (Read 1 Kings 7:48-50)
4. (Read 2 Chronicles 3:8-9)
It is estimated that 1 talent is the equivalent of 140 pounds; and, 1 pound of gold is worth $300 an ounce. Using those calculations, the value of the gold used in the holy of Holies alone would be worth 4 billion dollars today! I believe you would agree with me that this was more than your run of the mill house.
Today, the estimated cost of rebuilding the Temple would be between $500 - $700 billion dollars. Thus, in drawing their attention back to the Past Temple in comparison to the Present Temple, the Lord verifies that there is no comparison.
II. A PRESENT TEMPLE THAT IS ADMIRED (2:4-5)
A. The Lord Gives Them A Word Of Encouragement - Now the Lord encourages the people to do the work. (Haggai 2:4)
The Lord gives them:
1. A word of courage - "Be strong" (Ephesians 6:10)
2. A word to carry on and carry out - "and Work" (Galatians 6:9)
3. A word of confidence - "for I am with you" (Matthew 28:19-20)
B. The Lord Gives Them A Word Of Endorsement - (He confirms His Word) (Hag. 2:5)
* Phil. 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
* Eph. 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
C. In Ezra chapter 3, the people were rebuilding the Temple. (Read Ezra 3:11-13)
1. Why were the old men weeping as the young people rejoiced?
2. The old men knew the glory of Solomon's temple and that it could never be duplicated.
3. We are raising a generation that has never seen a great movement of God. Let’s show them!
* Psa. 44:1 We have heard with our ears, O God, our fathers have told us, what work thou didst in their days, in the times of old.
We should make it possible for our children to say, "We have SEEN with our eyes, O God, our fathers have SHOWN us, what work thou didst in their days, in the times of old."
1. Our Children Need To See The Work That God Has Done Through Us.
2. Our Children Need To Be Shown The Work That God Has Done Through Us.
III. A PROPHETIC TEMPLE THAT IS ANTICIPATED (2:6-9)
Haggai prophecies of a future temple of glory, a greater temple!
A. We See The Glory Of The Lord's Power (6-7)
B. We See The Glory Of The Lord's Possession (8)
C. We See The Glory Of The Lord's Presence (9)
* Rev. 21:22-23 (22) And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. (23) And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
It is the wonder of the past house and the waiting for the future house that motivates the child of God to work on the present house.
1. Wonder at the past - but don't Linger in the Past,
2. Wait on the future - but don't Lounge in the Future,
3. Work in the present - labor in the Present!