Spiritual Gifts 5: One Spirit, Many Gifts (pt. 1)
Reading: 1 Corinthians 12:1-11
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. 1Corinthians 12:4-6 (NIV)
I. The Spirit gives abilities for Serving
A. What His gifts Are
1. Χαρισμάτα–Bits of Grace/free gifts
2. Διακονία–(humble) service (“deacons”)
3. Ενέργηματα–working (“energy”)
4. They’re all for the common good (v.7)
B. What His gifts Aren’t
1. Spiritual ‘fruit’ (Galatians 5:22-23)
a. The Spirit produces all the fruit in us all.
b. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
2. Roles in the Church (or elsewhere)
a. Somebody has to make coffee/preach.
b. But roles aren’t gifts. Gifts might suggest roles–but aren’t limited by them.
3. Church Offices
a. Offices give authority to some to carry out certain kinds of leadership.
b. Gifts are required for the office. But not all with leadership gifts will hold office.
II. The Spirit is Evident in all believers
A. He Shows himself in every believer (v.7)
1. Φανέρωσισ—to show, manifest, evidence
2. What’s the Spirit like? Look around!
a. He manifests Himself in each of us.
b. Look in a mirror.
c. (We can obscure the Spirit who shows Himself in/through us!)
B. He Allots ministry to every believer (v.11)
1. Διαρέω–to divide/apportion/allot
a. Gives–distributes purposefully.
b. Like a great dessert–He divides up His gracious gifts among us.
2. Everybody has a gift & assignment.
a. We’re all a part of the Spirit’s ministry
b. We all have a gift & a task.
III. The Spirit is the Gift Giver
A. The Spirit Plans How He gives (v.11)
1. He doesn’t give His gifts willy-nilly
a. It’s not by ‘chance’ or randomly.
b. The Spirit plans all this ahead of time.
2. We can trust the Spirit’s judgement!
a. Is God going to let us down?!!
3. God’s plan for His Church is evident in how He gifts His people(!)
a. He gives for His plan–how has He gifted us tells us about our Ministry/ies.
B. The Spirit Harmonizes our ministries
1. Would the Spirit create conflict?!
a. 1Cor.14:33 God is not a God of disorder but of peace.
b. Everything God does is good
2. He makes it all work together for His purpose(s).
a. What seems not to fit, He makes fit!
b. Like looking at a tapestry from the back
C. We Depend on the Spirit
1. We don’t earn or choose our gifts
a. Gifts don’t come because of $, or experience, or theology!
b. We don’t get more by memorizing more Scripture.
c. They are gifts of grace–unearned by definition
2. Without the Spirit, we can’t use them well
a. They have no power for good without His “inspiration”
b. We should tremble to do His work in our own power!
3. With the Spirit’s help we can do everything God expects from us!
a. Eph 2.10 We are created in Christ Jesus for good works which He prepared in advance for us to do!
b. Be bold in using the Spirit’s gifts!
The Bottom Line:
|Relying on the Spirit, we Joyfully and Boldly use His gifts.|
I will respond to God today by: ____________________
HOR: Spirit of the Living God