Philemon 22_25 All About Who
- Okay… here is the question of the day….
- How many of you ladies married the perfect man?
- He is always loving and kind…
- He shares his feelings with you
- He listens attentively when you speak
- He feels your sorrow when you hurt…
- Is overjoyed at the things that bring you joy
- How about the family…
- Does he or did he just adore his mother-in-law
- Does he handle the craziness of the kids without even a slight rise in his voice.
- Is he carefully leading his family in matters of faith
- How about his work
- Does he commit to his job faithfully
- Does he find it rewarding and refreshing… never bringing the burden home
- Always diligent
- Always respectful
- How is he with others…
- Great with your friends…
- First one in to help others
- Picks his underwear up off the floor and puts it in the laundry…
- GREAT IN ONE, TWO, THREE AREAS….
- As much as we try we need to be at least putting the good effort in the variety of areas of life.
- Even if it isn’t our natural strength… we need to be complete if not perfect. We need to be loving even if we are more of a thinker or doer… than one who feels
- We have to care for our families… find joy in our work… Support others… love our mother-in-law
- We too need to make sure we are complete in our life in Christ
22 At the same time also prepare me a lodging, for I hope that through your prayers I will be given to you. 23 Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, greets you, 24 as do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, Luke, my fellow workers. 25 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.
- Has anybody done those wooden puzzles… the ones that you have to fit all together at once or it falls apart…
- Doug and Trudy showed us one evening when we were at their home.
- It is just a bunch of pieces… that don’t just fit one or two pieces at a time
- It is all or nothing…
- Get it together or it falls apart…
- There is something to that…
- Ever seen the Zoom in from World… to the continent… country… province… city
- Important to remember each view is right… contingent on the other…
- Unique but linked
- All Important
- But built on each other
- What it means to be complete in Christ
22 At the same time also prepare me a lodging, for I hope that through your prayers I will be given to you.
- Paul… big focus… Apostle to the Gentiles.
- Never forgets the personal level…
- Care for one another… how
- Love one another… how
- No isolation…
- No Lone Ranger….
- Paul… practically present…
- Paul… ask for powerful prayer… pray for relationship
- Not selfish… recognize the benefit of giving self
- Giving self… (burden?...) no expected… and blessing
- Integrated under standing of the personal / corporate
- Christianity is very personal…
- NAU John 13:35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
- John 15:12 "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.
- Just as Christ loves each of us… we are to love each other… Taking our personal relationships seriously
23 Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, greets you, 24 as do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, Luke, my fellow workers.
- Empowered Paul… special anointing… gifting… apostle gift… if anyone could have been a Lone Ranger…
- Body vs Lone Ranger
- Not only close personally… but close to the body… support, encouragement, perspective…
- Connected to the whole
- Loving, Knowing, Caring… exhorting, reproofing, admonishing…
- 1 Thessalonians 5:9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep, we will live together with Him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.
- Strength in diversity…
- Even Epaphras in jail… is worthy of mention
- Dr. Luke…
- See the body as Christ does…
- Ephesians 4:1 Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, 3 being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all. 7 But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift.
- See the body in Christ’s eyes…
- Redeemed by His Love
- Gathered around His Truth… around his Purpose
- Serving in His Name… Sharing His Glory
25 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.
- Remember this hallmark statement in Paul’s letters was highly offensive to Jews and a blatant… loving reminder to the relationship of the Christian to their Saviour.
- This should sever as a reminder that it isn’t primarily about our personal relationships… though they are important
- This should sever as a reminder that it isn’t primarily about our corporate relationship… though it is important
- This is a reminder that our relationship to Christ is supernatural… Spirit to Spirit… and eternal… and by the grace of God
- NAU Romans 8:16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,
- True strength… in the true message… in the true Saviour
- We have a divine purpose… divinely empowered… divinely loved… divinely protected
- Experience the Grace of Jesus Christ… the unmerited favour… of the beloved son of God
- Grace from Christ to you… a promise… a blessing… a note of comfort…. A reminder…
- What to do to nurture personal relationships in Christ?
- What to do to nurture Corporate relationships in Christ?
- Commit… be there
- What to do to nurture the supernatural relationship in Christ?