- Definition of futility…
- New dad…. 1st baby….
- Feel useless…
- Water’s breaking, labour starts,….
- We can’t bear the child…. (in a foolish moment we might even offer)
- We would experience the contractions
- We can do our part…. Encouragement
- Be there….
- We just want to fix it… end the pain…..
- We just want the end… the reward… the New Life and NO MORE PAIN
- Paul was wanted the pain to end... he was willing to accept any burden… just make it stop!!
Romans 9:1 I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience testifies with me in the Holy Spirit, 2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh, 4 who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises, 5 whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.
- Ever watch somebody do something painful
- Luke… at Panache Lake… N. Ont.
- Downhill…. Josh tried it (3 yrs older)
- Wait (too late)
- Too late
- It unfolded in slow motion…
- Wildly steep hill
- I hated that moment…. It was like forever….
- I knew (a little late) what was in store
- I knew the outcome
- I knew the pain
- I knew…
- The Truth was Luke was in a predicament. It would cause pain… it could seriously hurt him… he was in for a bad ride
- The Personal Pain… I hurt, because I knew he would hurt… I ached… I would have done just about anything to save him
- Faithful God… I had to trust God… immediately, practically, urgently…. It was out of my hands…. It was in His!
Romans 9:1 I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience testifies with me in the Holy Spirit…
- Truth and where it resides…
- Truth… the whole truth and nothing but…
- Sensational… Spectacular or nothing
- Health and Prosperity! vs.
- Eternal and right… (Truth is Eternal and right)
- In Christ… Foundation!
- News people as experts…
- Apart from Christ… the message of salvation is empty… it is conjecture…..
- Paul declares… I am not lying…
- Me selling cars…
- Business manager had me carry out his evil scheme!
- Paul anchored in Christ… conscience clear before the Holy Spirit…
- We are not an accurate judge of ourselves….
- Ever have someone bring perspective?
- Realize… how far out of whack we really were!
- Our conscience is like a guide without a map!... or even a you are here star….
- The Spirit is our map… our perspective… filled with the Word… held accountable by our brothers and sisters… the perspective becomes reliable.
- Self is our confusion!
- Truth is our anchor!
- Paul points to Christ and the Holy Spirit!
2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh…
- 32 A.D…. to 57 A.D… 25 year ache…
- Living God… Others… Self
- God’s Pain… Pain for Others… sacrifice of self
- Remember back to Romans 8:38-39… Romans 8:38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Paul knew he could not “give up” his faith… it was rooted in Christ and 8:29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son
- Promised before the foundations of the earth…
- But he ached… his desire was that his kinsmen would know… the gospel hope… the Messiah that they had waited for… he wanted to sacrifice… knowing the truth… he wanted to rescue them…
Medal of Bravery
BRADLEY SCOTT BECKER, M.B. (Posthumous)
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
On September 13, 2003, Bradley Becker died while trying to
rescue his eight-year-old daughter at Wasaga Beach, Ontario. The girl was playing on an air mattress when a strong wind pushed her farther out, some 200 metres into the bay. When she saw her father swimming towards her from shore, the girl jumped off the mattress and began swimming to meet him. Reaching her midway, Mr. Becker swam behind her, pushing her ahead and repeatedly pulling her from under the surface while shouting encouragements. Sadly, Mr. Becker was overcome by exhaustion before reaching safety and disappeared under the surface. The girl was eventually rescued by a man on a sea-doo who had come to help.
- For those we love we are willing to sacrifice so much….
- John 15:12 "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.
- To Sacrifice… To Proclaim…
NAU John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
- We are not even asked to do something our Heavenly father was not willing to do….
- Sacrifice His Son… in order to Redeem… Rescue us!... Proclaim truth to a lost world!!
NAU Exodus 32:32 "But now, if You will, forgive their sin-- and if not, please blot me out from Your book which You have written!"
- Moses felt that pain before Paul… God please I know they are “missing the mark”…. Please, please forgive them… or strike me from your book…
- My heart is for others… that they would know your mercy… your hope… your power…
3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh…
- This is killing me…
- 1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
- And it is my heart deepest desire…. Its very purpose to beat… my very reason to exist… that you would know Christ… to the sacrifice of everything else..
- Do you have a personal pain…. Do you have an ache?
4 who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises, 5 whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.
- To the children of Israel… God continues his covenants…. Never abandoning his promises…
- the adoption as sons
- the glory
- the covenants
- the giving of the Law
- the temple service
- the promises
- the lineage of Christ (Christ according to the flesh) who is over all
- God blessed forever. Amen.
- God does not walk away from them…. He continues to be there God and offer salvation through his Son… he has not forsaken them… or cut them off… but continues to offer salvation and hope… honouring his promise.
- Remember God promises are good to us too…
- Paul confirms not only God love for Israel…. But speaks to God’s character…. Faithful, long-suffering, enduring…
- For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- God is faithful!!
- We can walk on the edge… living with our lives, our faith vital and exposed… because no one will snatch the promises of God from us.
- We are no good to anyone if we are “unanchored”
- New reporter making stuff up gets fired
- Our message in “LOVE” without Truth is candy-coating the road to hell.
- True Love for one-another is about Truth
- Loving honesty… Encouraging honestly…. Admonishing honestly… declaring honestly!
- Our Love must be in Truth
- God talk
- Good person talk
- Many paths talk
- This has to hurt!
- Know Love and Eternity…. (tell me about your love for Jesus)
- Know those who don’t know
- Love and Truth and Pain…. Motivate (Luke… Brad)
- Rescue mission – Like our Saviour
- Empathy… compassion…. Mercy…
- God is faithful to his children… faithful to Israel… faithful to the church…
- God is faithful to his promise to us!
- Stand firm…. God does….
- No fear….
TRUTH…. PAIN… PROMISES