Stand up and fight: The Breastpate of Righteousness
Stand and Fight: The breastplate of Righteousness
Introduction: In Financial Peace University we are learning priorities. We have learned that before any other bill gets paid you take care of the 4 walls around you…food, shelter, clothing, transportation. These are the basic necessities…they are important. In Matthew 6 33 Jesus tells us that these things are important yes but that there is something that is more important. “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” What will be added, the basic necessities… God will take care of them for you if…you seek his kingdom and his righteousness…If you follow Him.
· Def-doing what is right in Gods eyes…this may make you look really weird in the worlds eyes…”you mean you don’t cheat on your taxes? But it is so easy to get away with! You mean you think it is wrong to look lustfully at another besides your husband/wife? That’s weird.” The world thinks that we are weird for waking up early on Sunday morning. “Football doesn’t start till noon…why wake up by 8?” Righteousness though is not conforming to the patterns of this world, but to the word of God… doing what is right in GODS eyes.
· Matt 23:28 Pharisees appeared righteous on outside. You can deceive the world like this…the Pharisees had been doing it for years…
· Illus-Game I play at home sometimes, I don’t like to play it but it is a necessity. The game is called “what is in the sippy cup” Sometimes Hayden stashes his sippy cups in really creative spots. When I find them I go through opening them if there is liquid is still inside. My stomach is churning already. I open up the first one…oh just water, good. The second one. Whew Koolaid, that was close…now the third. I open it up and the whole house fills up with the smell of spoiled milk, mmm gotta love spoiled milk. The real problem comes when Hayden plays the game “what is in the sippy cup” He finds his long lost sippy, on that he hid inside one of his toys 3 days earlier...it looks good from the outside, lighting mcqueen smiling back at him…but on the inside. Sometimes its water and he is fine…others its koolaid, not horrible after a few days….but sometimes…boy he can make some funny faces.
· Don’t tell me it doesn’t matter what is on the inside… that is the most important thing.
· Righteousness is doing what is right in Gods eyes, not acting or looking like you ae a faithful Christian, but actually being one…even when no one else is looking.
Transition: We have identified righteousness as doing what is right in Gods eyes, but why is that important?
Why is righteousness important?
· The breastplate was the next piece of armor put on by the roman soldier. It was strapped to the belt in order to keep it in place, and protected your most vital organ, your heart.
Matt 15:19 says “For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.”
· Matt 6:21 says that where your treasure is there your heart will be also…
· what are you filling your life with…if you are filing your life with envy, pride, lies and lust then that is what will be in your heart…that means your armor is faulty and you are buying in to the devils schemes.
· If you are filling your life with heavenly things…there your heart will be also…protected by the breastplate of righteousness…helping guard your heart from the evil schemes of satan.
· I cor 6:9-10-Those who practice unrighteousness will not have the kingdom of God. But look at verse 11. There is hope for those to become sanctified, to become righteous so that their reward will one day be heaven.
Transition: We know that the reward of the righteous is eternity with the Father…But leys take a look at a few biblical examples of righteousness.
Examples if righteousness.
|Gen 6:9||These are the records of the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time; Noah walked with God.|
· When the flood came he and his family were the only ones ready…the only ones that were saved in that wicked day, and was given the opportunity to father the entire world.
· Read James 2:18-24
· Abraham had faith in God, a faith that produced obedience and works, a faith that was credited to him as righteous.
· When we look into our own lives do we see examples of righteousness? Do we see a faith that is producing works and good deeds? Do we see someone who is continually doing what is right in Gods eyes?
Conclusion: Seek First Gods kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be added unto you. Don’t expect God to but you a car or house or steak dinner…but know that He promises that you will be taken care of. Do what is right in Gods eyes, put on that breastplate to protect your heart from the schemes of the devil. Practice righteousness even when no one else is looking.