The Victory - 1 Cor 15-50_58
Secular – Remembrance Day
– those that are willing to pay the price
o those willing to give for freedom / security of others
- What have our Veterans been fighting for?
- Something Bigger (yes, battles lost – but it is for the bigger Victory)
Biblical – 1 Cor 15:50 I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed--
52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.
53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.
54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."
55 "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"
56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58 Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
Section Topic - Resurrection (Doctrine)
- Context – sin city, eschatology
- Hope – In this context Paul speaks…
Personal – **Leaf Fan – hope… finally
Relate to our situation?
Do you not want to be a winner?
Play on a loosing team… loose hope Bad News Bears
Lose at board games… chess… checkers
Do we not anticipate greater things when we have a winning record? Does a winner behave like a looser? (like the lost?)
Bridge – We have won we are part of the winning team! “How do we claim the VICTORY?
1 Cor 15
The Great Transformation:
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed -- 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
· Flesh and blood can not inherit / not the victor
- Not on our own
§ Man effort is goodness
§ God effort is holiness
· | Inherits the grave |
The corruption does not inherit perfection / holiness
· The timing belongs to God… not all will die (sleep)
- | * changed! |
Unknown – thief in the night
· Last trumpet culmination of history
§ The dead raised
§ We will be changed – for good or bad
§ Victory!! – for the Beliver
· Change is not an option (Must)
§ There is no place for imperfection in heaven
§ Fleshly/worldly – Spiritual
§ From temporal to eternal
! The Great Triumph
54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."
55 "O Death, where is your sting? O Hades, where is your victory?"
56 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law.
What is this Victory?
· Re-birth – down with the old man * celebration time – now/not yet (NIV 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!)
· Spiritual being – eternal
· Strong “taunt” – of death / sin / evil (quoting Psalmist)
· Sin separates us from God
· Legalism, rely on the old man (for obedience) is sin, relying on Christ is Victory!
· | It’s free! |
Legalism vs. Grace
Heb 2:14 Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.
· Death is the tool of the devil
· Freedom from the Death is Christ – Victory in Christ
Rev 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them,
|** Death Has No Hold!!|
4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away."
The Great Thanksgiving
|Hope of the World|
57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
· All because of God
- | Redemption Centres |
Victory in Christ
- | Trinity |
Greatest Price Paid
- Eternal Thanks
NAU 2 Corinthians 2:14 But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.
Victory in knowing Christ.
** Power at the very Centre - Oswald
* Commit everything / everyday
The Great Exhortation
58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.
· Be true to Faith
- Steadfast / Immovable (x2)
Eph 4:14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming
- Learn / Grow * Christ Alone for Salvation
* “Input to Stay Put” – Driving down roots!
· Faith in Action
- Work / Labour (x2) * SERVE
* Not about time
it’s about priority
· Results Guaranteed
- Practices (put into practice) x 3
What does this look like?
· Fear – NONE
· Equipped – Studying / Learning committed
· Abounding in the Lord’s Work!
- Not a sideline (if I have the time) Eph 4:16
- Explode – World Series
Triumph – Victor
Exhortation - WE WIN!!
- Tell the World
- Live Like Winners
How do we claim…