Titus 1:1-4 “You Ought To Be Committed!”
NIV Titus 1:1 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ for the faith of God's elect and the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness-- 2 a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, 3 and at his appointed season he brought his word to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Saviour, 4 To Titus, my true son in our common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Saviour.
Committed to God’s Mastery 1:1a
Titus 1:1 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ
· Servant, dolous, slave
o Putting your master first!
o Did not boast - Well-educated, Roman citizen, unique Apostle to Gentiles
o Identified as servant of God…
§ Imagine… how we identify who we are… I work under, my boss…
§ Servant… branded… a slave
· Apostle of Jesus Christ
o Apostle (Witness to the resurrected Christ, endued with the power of the Spirit, called to be a ‘messenger’ (sent ones).
o Sent not for myself… sent for the one I serve
o Identified with Christ.
Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Are you a servant, a slave of God… gaining your identity in Christ.
Are you committed to God’s mastery in your life?
· Do you live every moment for him?
· Do you seek God’s guidance in your life… in the big and the small
o Praying for big, seeking his Word
o Soaking in the Word for small…
o Stay in touch…
Same for leader or follower!!
Be Committed to God’s Mastery!!
Committed to God’s Mission 1:1b – 1:2a
for the faith of God's elect and the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness-- 2 a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life,
Following Christ includes following his mission!
o ‘for the faith of God's elect’ – bringing in the sheaves
o 2 Tim 2:10 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.
o God has called a people unto himself… we are the tools to harvest his fields…
§ We are duty bound…
o Evangelism isn’t a ministry, something we support… it is a way of life we are committed to!
§ You are not given the message of Christ simply as icing on the cake of your life… ‘like the fishes and loaves’ this meal will fill the souls of as many of God’s people as we reach.
o To use a fishing analogy… God before the dawn of time put them in the hook… START REELING!
o Presesnt the unadulterated Gospel message and know the Holy Spirit has prepared the hearts of his children… our faith is initiated in God… He prepares those who will accept the message and God calls us to present it… faithfully!!
o ‘the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness’ – God’s mission to grow the elect, the Church in our Christ-likeness
o knowledge – Gk. clear truth
o Embracing and growing in truth leads to godliness… vs. those who do not grow and embrace the truth who become stagnant in their faith (JAMES)
o When we believe… when we convey and live the truth… when we embrace salvation we grow and are sanctified!
o Study, meditate, true devotion to the Word of God!
o Our mission is to pour into one another… (are you?)
o a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, - God’s Mission… to encourage his children… (focus on the horizon… eternal hope)
o It is hard to imagine ‘depression’ as a Christian…
o Lift up, support, pray… remember we are in the world not of it…
** think of childbirth - we must endure but the outcome is better!
Philippians 3:8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ-- the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
· Suffering in this age nothing compared to the glory of the age to come!!
· Committed to God’s Mission
o Are you?
Committed to God’s Message 1:2b-1:3a
which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, 3 and at his appointed season he brought his word to light
· God is truth… His Word is True (fountain of good)
· Heb 6:17 Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. 18 God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.19 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.
· God’s promises of hope… of relationship from Adam, Noah, Abraham…
· But even before… God established his promises before the beginning of time
** Before you were a glint in your father’s eye… things that transpired before your birth… long before anything existed God… unchanging in nature… promised to be an anchor of hope… in love… firm and secure for those who believe
· the promise… delivered in his Word, declaring his mission…
· Scripture… revealing the perfect plan of redemption…. From Genesis to Revelation pointing to the hope in Christ Jesus
· Are you committed to the Word?
o Every day
o Casual, intense
o Devoted… go to the stake
o Very Word of God? (well is it?)
o Is it the light… the hope… it is the fodder for the mission…
o It holds the promises… do you know…
· Inheritance… content of the will
· Autobiography of God… revealing the great I AM
· Road Map… don’t fall off a precipice
· Answer Book… their WILL BE A TEST!
· Guide, Solace,…
Do you even understand… what it is to be Committed to God’s Message… who did you tell this week?
Committed to God’s Means 1:3b
through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Saviour,
· Proclamation – God’s tool for getting the message out, calling people to the mission, to allowing God to be master over our life…
· Who entrusted… Paul… and every believer!!
· Luke 9:60Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God."
o Drop even the most “serious” temporal… life events and preach it… share it… live it… Jesus said - proclaim it.
· Do not think that just leadership is to proclaim…
· Matt 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
· COMMAND OF GOD…
o To every man, woman and child… proclaim it
o If you are committed to Christ as your master
o You must… must be committed to his mission
o You must… must be committed to knowing and protecting his message
o You must… must be committed to proclaiming it…
o SIMPLE LOGIC – Jesus Christ your LORD? Live for him, his mission, and message and proclaim as if lives depended on it… because GOD KNOWS THEY DO!
Committed to God’s People 1:4
4 To Titus, my true son in our common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Saviour.
· Paul poured into Titus… huge bond… common faith… father-son relationship
· In a common faith… I am your brother… I am committed to you…
· I expect… with all biblical authority that you be committed to one another!
· You protect that faith, your protect that relationship… you offer and support - Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Saviour.
· Jesus Christ is our grace and our peace… and in Him we are one…
· We are partners… we are family… we are one body…
· WE OUGHT TO BE COMMITTED…
We ought to be committed to:
Christ as our master
To His mission
To his message
To the proclamation of truth
To his people…