What We Believe - Separation of Church and State_ Civil Gove
What We Believe
Separation of Church and State
- Take a baby through the border or airport
- Take out of car seat
- Check under and around…
- Check around diaper
- Why? It is a sad fact that parents have used the children to smuggle drugs… serve as mules
- Parents have even been known to use their kids to deal drugs… lighter sentences etc…
- Stories of children busted for the parents crimes… break your heart…
- We would never insist that they blindly follow their parents… would we?
- This is a case where we would want them to rebel… do what is right…
- Even in contradiction to the 5th commandment…
- There are legitimate reasons for disobeying authority… it is important to know why we do something…it is important for our kids too.
- In our lives there is an ultimate right and wrong that does not rest in Parental Choice or any legislative body… but in God and his revealed Word
Section K - The Church and State
We believe in the entire separation of church and state.
Section N - Civil Government
We believe that civil government is of divine appointment for the interest and good order of society; that magistrates are to be prayed for, conscientiously honoured and obeyed, except only in the things opposed to the will of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who is the only Lord of the conscience and Prince of the kings of the earth.
- Hard Week…
- Dinner and movie
- argue over Chick-flick… or blow’em up action adventure…
- arranged a babysitter
- leave instructions…
- bed by 9:00
- no sugary foods
- nothing to drink after 7:00
- appropriate TV…
- You enjoy the Chick-flick… (we always wind-up watching their movie)
- Arrive home just before midnight
- Every light on
- Kids all up bouncing of the ceiling
- Die-Hard 2 blaring from the TV
- Drinking and Orange Pop while sitting amongst the Empty Smarties boxes with tell-tale food colouring around the mouth and on the hands… (should of had M&M’s)
- Quiz the babysitter… the one who has been entrusted… What happened…
- not in bed, sugary food, drinking pop and watching a inappropriate TV program….
- Well the babysitter answers back… they didn’t want to do what I said… so I let them do what they wanted…
- Could you imagine living in a world where the adults thought it was okay to disobey the rules given by authorities that have been empowered by God to administer our rules…
- There would be people stealing music through the internet…
- There would be people disregarding the speed limit signs…
- There would be people cheating on taxes…
- Taking drugs
- Assaulting one another
Who would want to live in a world where God ordained authority was disobeyed at every step….
- God in his wisdom gave us a specific relationship to the State our Civil Government… we need to understand that relationship… and be faithful to it!!
Entire Separation of Church and State
- What is meant by the entire separation of church and state…?
- We are working under some huge misconceptions in our society… we have adopted a concept then beat it up pretty severely…
- Even the choice of support text within our statement faith doesn’t render the full meaning…
NAU Matthew 22:21 They said to Him, "Caesar's." Then He said to them, "Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."
- So… what does the entire separation of church and state mean?
- It does not represent… Freedom from Religion…
- But the Freedom of Religion…
- Scriptural context is of Herodians… who wanted to increase the sphere of influence of government
- and the Pharisee who wanted no influence of the state at all… and were really looking forward to a Messiah who would give the Roman’s the boot…
- Jesus didn’t fall into their trap and in his answer sheds light on the relationship between Church and State…
- We will see that our relationship to the state… is managed by God’s Word and in turn reflects our relationship to Christ…
- But what about the state and the church?
- The addition of the Separation of Church and State to most (if not all) Baptist and many other Anabaptist and Protestant Statements of faith reflects not only Scriptural truth but a position against the State Church…
- Church of England… head is the monarchy… bishop approved by the House of Lords….
- And the State Churches throughout out Europe…
- Being a believer is independent of being the member of state…
- What we believe is independent of whom our government is…
- What we believe… comes rooted in our relationship to Jesus Christ… not independent of that…
- Our obedience to the state is part of our relationship to Christ… as we will see…
- Support text for Civil Government… but appropriate
NAU Acts 5:29 But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men. Public Order vs. Gospel
- Christ is the centre of our world that effects everything we do, everything say… and all that we are…
- The State to which we belong… is one place in which we can express our faith… and it is to be free from undo influence or control… The Entire Separation of Church and State…
NAU Acts 5:29 But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men.
- This is the over-arching standard…. We obey God-first!!
- Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, "'you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' 38 "this is the great and foremost commandment.
- The centre of our being relationship…
- Core of our being!!... God first!!
NAU Romans 13:1 Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. 3 For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; 4 for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience' sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing. 7 Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
. For God’s Sake – v 1, 2
U Everyone – psyche Gk. Every soul - inclusive
U No Authority but by God.
U Rebelling is against God.
U Misuse – Nebuchadnezzar and Belshazzar Daniel 4:19-28, 5:18-23
U Judgement for Misuse
U Judgement for Rebelling
Submitting To Civil Authority For God’s Sake
2. For Your Own Sake v. 3, 4
U Honest Citizen’s have no fear –** Radar Trap
U God’s agents/servants effecting justice on earth
U We are not permitted to avenge ourselves Rom. 12:17-19 ** Thief
U All Judgement doesn’t wait for Judgement Day
U Paul used legal system to avoid mistreatment – Acts 16:35-39; 22:22-29
U Government acts as avenger– even to extreme of capital punishment Gen. 9:6 Paul didn’t challenge right to sentence to death
- Cornelius to how to gain remission of sin but still soldier Acts10:43
Submitting To Civil Authority For Your Own Sake
3. For Conscience Sake v.5-7
U Believer is cognizant of God’s will and purposes
U Never taking lightly what God ordained
U Doing “right” easy on conscience **Key for Till
U Parting with money is difficult – but taxes to God’s servants
U Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s. Matt 22:21
U If we have freedom to exercise opinion then do it properly and Christlike ** Tax Revolt
U 2X taxes and revenue then 2x respect and honour
Submitting To Civil Authority For Conscience sake
ü We are to be good witnesses submitting for God’s sake - speeding
ü We are to protect ourselves from discipline – For Your Own Sake
ü We are obligated to be honest and pay our taxes – no illegal short cuts
-no “victimless” crimes i.e. downloads
NAU 1 Peter 2:13 Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, 14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. 15 For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men. 16 Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God. 17 Honour all people, love the brotherhood, fear God, honour the king.
- Every human institution…
- This is NOT a Christian Society…
- Violent… decadent society
- It is inherently evil (not of God… then…)
- But are we to compromise?
- Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God
- We are to use our freedom within society for good in the service of God and not instead conform to this world…
- But because something is legal does not mean it is good!!
- God and his Word are still the final test and authority!!
- Christians make good citizens…. Why?
- Honour all people, love their bothers and sisters in Christ, fear God, honour their civil government…
Passion and Obedience
- Entire Separation of Church and State…
- Participate fully and faithfully in our Society
- Vigorously defend the freedom of the Church and its people to express their faith…
- Never let civil authority take away from or dictate the nature of your relationship to God!!
- Civil Government
- Have a voice…
- Be a model citizen…
- Show respect… (they carry God’s authority)
- By last name… Campbell… Chretien…
- Trash talk…
- Live faithfully as a testimony…