Unconditional Election (Part 1)
A gift is not truly valued in of itself, BUT it is based on the GIVER & RECEIVER. and the Purpose and Intent of the Giver.
I. There is an identity crisis in the Church – Universally
- The Church really d/n know WHO it is ..or.. WHAT it is.
- Many local churches can’t distinguish the Kdom of God from the kdom of the World.
- Many in the Church Hold to a Man-centered God "its all about me” gospel.
- Within the Church, church leaders argue and fight like cats over eternal decrees simply b/c they d/n want to accept something that d/n fit their pretty little BOX.
- My goal this morn’ is to have you look at eternal decrees thru a differ lense – eternal perspective.
II. Paul gives a picture of God’s Purpose and Intent of the Church in EPHESIANS
- Eph. 1:
- Man c/n measure Election or any truth/doctrine from a depraved human perspective.
- The largest arguement against the teaching of Sov. Election is that it is UNFAIR. But Is it?
- Is God being unfair? As sinners, what do we FAIRLY deserve?
- Ps 50:21 – God said, “You thought that I was like you?
- What we think is fair is based on a finite perspective that is manipulated by EMOTIONS, SELFISHNESS, PRIDE, and IGNORANCE of GOD.
- Think abou it: Do we really want what is fair? Do we want justice?
III. God Predetermined the future according to His Will, for His Good Pleasure
- Not for your will, and Not for your good pleasure – that is self-centered theology.
- Rom 8:29 – “For whom He foreknew, He also *predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son*, that He might be the firstborn (procotos – supreme over) among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified (THE END THAT YOU CALLED AND CREATED TO BE).”
- 2 Thess. 2:13 - “But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning (OF TIME) chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit (A WORK OF GOD, NOT MAN) and belief in the truth, 14 to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.”
- Vs. 13 – We Give Thanks - praise to God…BECAUSE:
- (a) before time God thought of you, planned for you, “chose you for salvation”
- (b) tells how His Purifying Work would occur: the work of the Spirit, by hearing the gospel truth and believing.
- Vs.14 – The purpose of His Sov. Grace & Election:
- (a) “For the obtaining” to share in the glory of the Son.
- Vs.15 - If we believe this, this is what we are to do.
- Jn 6:37
- Jn 17:6 - A Point in Human Time that Jesus Temporarily Gave Us to The Father
- Jn. 17:9-11 ; Jn. 17:12 ; Jn. 17:15; Jn. 17:20 – all saints
IV. The End Result: I Cor 15:24-28
- The doctrines of Election & Predestination are not about You and they are not about Me. The Purpose of the whole Church was to be divine love gift from the Father to the son and the son back to the Father. “A Trinitiarn act of Love – ALL before Time."
- A gift is not truly valued in of itself, BUT it is based on the GIVER & RECEIVER AND the Purpose and Intent of the Giver
- God wasn’t going to give the Son a blemished, depraved gift. No, but a glorious gift that is “conformed to His own image.” Redeemed, glorified.
- The perseverance of the saint was a must due to the deprave sinful nature of fallen man, Eternal Security is part of the inheritance. The father wasn’t going to give a gift that was blemished, broken, defective, and fall apart after He gave it. No, it was a guaranteed holy and blameless LOVE GIFT!
- Before Time, the Trinity determined in counsel
- Eph. 1:4 “that we should be holy and w/o blame BEFORE HIM in love.”
- Holy – Imputed Rness of Christ
- W/o blame – Justified
- holy and pure before Him;
- Conformed to the image of the Son.
- To be joint heirs with Christ’s life, love, as much as a created being could be; and
- Live in Intimate fellowship with One Creator of All life and Existence.
- Your Salvation was the means to the end – Your Election into the Kdom of God was a part of a larger picture – The security of your salvation was a part of making the Celestial Gift Worthy to be Received!