4 Eph 17-32
Cosmic Christianity: Disciplines for the Journey
Ephesians 4:17-32; FBC, February 28, 2007
17 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. 18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. 19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more.
20 You, however, did not come to know Christ that way. 21 Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26 “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold. 28 He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
What you were…
1. Futile in thinking
2. Darkened in Understanding
· The friend of a church member turned to Christ this week. Her name is ____, and for many years she has been a spirit medium. She had been hearing about Christ from various sources over the past ten years. Lately she couldn't escape the conclusion that the spirit that enabled her to tell the future was exerting a cruel bondage over her. Then she had a vivid dream about Christ. That led her to tell her friend at (the church) that she wanted to turn to Jesus. Pray for her as the sparks fly in her new life as a Christian.
· ________ is a man who turned to Christ two weeks ago. He has a contract to deliver ice in this area, and makes a good living at it. But for years nearly all his earnings have gone to supply his addiction to amphetamines. He has visited different drug treatment centers around the country. Now he is hoping in help from God. For him "salvation" is pretty much defined by breaking the addiction. Pray that he will see that, yet also see all the other wonders of the salvation miracle (from Sheahans)
3. Separated from God’s life
4. Loss of sensitivity
This is human nature in its depraved state.
White bike program
The line in the sand: Who you are…
You heart of Him AND were taught in Him:
Your old self
Continues to be corrupted by evil desires
In the attitude of your mind
The one that looks like God
· True righteousness
Seven Disciplines for the Journey:
- Speak truthfully
Reason: members of one body
- Deal with anger
“In your anger” v. “Be angry”
…source of provocation
- Accept responsibility
No longer okay to steal, even if you are poor and need basic provisions
Work and provide for yourself
- Speak profitably
Watch your tongue
Guideline-does the speech build up the other person; is it for their benefit
- Don’t grieve the Spirit
Source of your seal
- Rid yourself of rage
Bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, slander, malice
Anger is not the only emotion you should experience. Instead…
- Clothe yourself in a forgiving spirit
Kindness; compassionate; forgiving; release from responsibility