A Theological Journey: Pt. 1 Our Foundation
- With no denominational direction we have a rare opportunity to look at what Christians believe Biblical.
- 2 Tim 3:16
THE ENTIRETY OF SCRIPTURE IS GOD-BREATHED
- Paul writes to Timothy that every word of Scripture is inspired by God.
- We have to take a proper view on this statement.
- (talk about the human-divine spectrum).
- We don't want to go to far to extremes so we are shooting for the human-divine communication model. What does the Bible say in context to us. 1 meaning, multiple points of application.
- It is inspired, all the words, not just the thoughts, but the very words are all important.
- God-breathed it, we therefore, must receive it as such.
- θεοπνυστος - God Breathed. The authors were the balloons and God is the breath filling up the balloon.
THE EFFECTS OF SCRIPTURE ARE FAR-REACHING
- Paus says that Scripture is profitable in 4 areas
- Doctrine - this is teaching. In particular, what the Bible teaches. Too often people can become fixed on a personality and no on the Word of God. illustrate Joel Osteen.
- Reproof - an expression of strong disapproval. Because God breathed it, we don't have to question if something is right or wrong. We just let ourselves be guided by God's Word. When you step off track God brings you back.
- Correction - The Greek literally means to straighten.
- Instruction in righteousness - this is the process of sanctification. The picture of a child being coached, or trianed in a skill.
- Pretty powerful reasons to get to know what the Bible says.
THE EQUIPPING OF SCRIPTURE IS COMPLETE
- There is a reason Paul says that we have Scripture and that we should learn to rightly understand what it says.
- To be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
- We are on a journey to understand rightly what the Bible says, what the doctrines or theology propose, and how to apply it to our lives.
- Our goal is a closer communion with God.
- A better understanding of Scriptural doctrines
- The confidence to use Scripture, not just read it.