Wedding of Alise Creswell/ Wade Johnson
19 June, 1995, HLC, Fargo Texts: 1 John 4:9-12; 1 Cor 13:4-8a
Nothing is as simple as it seems.
even simple wedding ceremony involves some very complicated planning, especially when you’re both working, when Wade is busy up in Rugby, and Alise is off to some new part of the country helping to open a new restaurant
Yes, Nothing is as simple as it seems.
yet, talk about simple: did you hear what was said about love in the 1 John lesson?
(1 John 4:11) we ought to love one another.
You can’t get much simpler than that: simply, love one another
No, Nothing is as simple as it seems.
You would think that LOVE is a simple matter of the heart: that glimpse across the room at that Freshmen year gathering at MSU when the seeds of true love were first planted, that later blossomed into a full-blown case of heart skipping and stomach fluttering: all those things that simply and eloquently declares: true love
Yet true LOVE is anything but simple as you live it out in your daily lives
you quickly discover how LOVE, that wonderful but complex expression of the bond in a marriage rel, has been reduced to something more simple in our day and age, something that can be completely handled in a half hour sitcom
- I think it is impt to disting between LOVE with all its nuances and struggles- and that easy thing that world wants us to buy, a simple little thing called LUV - uc
- you fall in LUV at first glance, but you must grow in LOVE
- LUV is an impulse, but LOVE involves decisions / commitment,
- LUV is glamorous and sexy, LOVE is patient and kind
- LUV can be selfish and suspicious, but LOVE does not insist on its own way, and it is not envious or boastful or arrogant
- LUV comes quickly, easily, and just as quickly/easily disap’ears
- LOVE takes time and energy, but it also endures all things and ... LOVE never ends
so, you see, LUV is easy, but LOVE is not as simple as it seems
Now, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new, something you've not thought about,
I am certain that you will both do your very best to live out your good intentions,
I certain of your sincere desire to be faithful to promises of love.
but in few moments, you two are solemnly going to promise your lifelong love for each other even under the most complex and difficult of situations.
and as we all know: Nothing is as simple as it seems.
So, how is it that you dare to make to such awesome promises?
How can we be so confident of LOVE when we see so many instances around us of how LUV can be put asunder?
Nothing is as simple as it seems,
in fact, that reading from 1 John is not as simple as I stated moments ago; the full verse is: (1 John 4:11) Beloved, since God loved us so much, we also ought to love one another.
- we are here beca of conviction that since God loves you so much, you will indeed be able to love one another
we are here bec God has joined you together; has been at work in your reltnship
so, God is the simple reason why you can promise your love to each other.
God is the simple reason why this day, this ceremony, this gathering of witnesses is taking place.
God is the simple reason your love, your marriage, your future life together are all possible.
it is not simply your promises to each other that are making this marriage happen.
It is God's promise to you that is the important bond
It is God who promises to grant you to live in harmony with each other even in the most difficult times of our complex lives.
It is as simple as that. Thanks be to God. Amen.