CONTAGIOUS CHRISTIANITY Matthew 4:13-25
1. Generally a word used when someone is ill or sick -common question "Is it contagious?"
2. Contagious (Compton’s) - spread by direct or indirect contact; communicable: liable to transmit, spreading or tending to spread from person to person.
3. If someone is considered to be contagious we try to stay away from them.
a. there were many contagious diseases in bible times, the most feared being leprosy
b. there are many contagious diseases today, the most feared being AIDS
c. other ways to be contagious - bad attitude, depression, yielding to sin
d. People can be contagious in a good sense-laughter, joy, good mood, good morals, etc.
4. What does this have to do with the ministry of Jesus?
II. JESUS WAS A CONTAGIOUS PERSON
1. Notice the scope of His ministry - Syria, Decapolis, Jeruselem, Judea, beyond Jordon
2. The Pharisees held a large following among the people until Jesus came along
3. What was different between the Pharisees and Jesus?
a. the Pharisees held a heavy weight of legalism over the people’s head, they followed because they had to -Matt 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders;
b. Why did the multitudes follow Jesus? -Jesus had something that no one else had -Matt 7:29-8:1 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. When he was come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him.
c. They wanted what Jesus had and followed him freely, not by force. His fame spread abroad. What He had infected the lives other people
d. What Jesus had drew people but caused demons, sickness, infirmity and death to flea
4. What made Jesus so contagious?
a. Jesus didn’t just talk about what God could do, He demonstrated it
b. when people were infected with what Jesus had it changed their life -John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. (indeed - for real, no pretending)
III. PEOPLE WHO JESUS TOUCHED BECAME CONTAGIOUS
1. Demoniac of Gedara - Luke 8:38-39 Now the man out of whom the devils were departed besought him that he might be with him: but Jesus sent him away, saying, Return to your own house, and show the great things God has done for you. And he went his way, and published throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done unto him.
2. A Leper - Mark 1:44-45 See you say nothing to any man: but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer for your cleansing those things which Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them. But he went out, and began to proclaim it much, and to blaze abroad the matter, insomuch that Jesus could no more openly enter into the city, but was without in desert places: and they came to him from every quarter.
3. The woman at the well - John 4:28-30 The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and said to the men, Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ? Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.
4. John 4:39-40 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did. So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days.
5. Peter - Acts 5:14-16 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women. Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them. There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.
6. Philip - Acts 8:5-8 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spoke, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed. And there was great joy in that city.
7. Paul - Acts 19:11-12 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.
IV. GOD’S DESIRE FOR THE CHURCH TODAY
1. God wants us to be a contagious church
a. Eph 3:9-10 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world has been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,...
b. In order for this to happen our lives must be thoroughly infected with the presence and power of Christ
c. Eph 3:17-19 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passes all knowledge, that you might be filled with all the fullness of God.
d. To be contagious we must love the people of the world the way God does
e. For years we’ve criticized and brow beaten the sinners we are supposed to be winning to the Lord
f. Jesus only condemned the religious leaders because they were stubborn and rebellious
g. To be contagious we must do more than talk about forgiveness, love, compassion, grace and mercy. We must demonstrate it in a real way
Are you a "Contagious Christian?"
Does the power of Christ in your life infect others?