June 8 2008 Divine Healing
TOTAL HEALING: THE LORD WANTS TO MAKE US WHOLE
OUTLINE: SPIRITUAL HEALING, PHYSICAL HEALING, EMOTIONAL HEALING, RELATIONAL HEALING, VOCATIONAL HEALING, SOCIAL HEALING, NATIONAL HEALING
Examples of Recent Moves of the Spirit in the Last 100 years or so
1. John Alexander Dowie - healing revival (1890’s). A great number of healings and signs and wonders were evidenced in Dowie's meetings.
2. Wales revival (1904) / Topeka Kansas (1904) / Azusa Street revival (Los Angeles in 1906) – Renewal/Manifest Presence. This move of the Spirit wasn't known as much for healings or signs and wonders, but instead was known for a sort of refreshing for the people of God.
3. John G Lake healing revival 1910-20). Like Dowie, many notable miracles, healings, signs and wonders. One noteworthy fact about Lake's ministry was the fact that in his ministry there was a strong emphasis on loving God more than loving the works of God.
4. Aimee Simple McPherson - healing revival (1920’s).
5. Voice of Healing revival with Oral Roberts, William Braham, Kenneth Hagin, etc. (1940-50’s).
6. Charismatic Renewal - started initially among Catholics and then spread out to reach the main line Protestant denominations (1967). Again, this move was more of a renewal than a signs and wonders move.
7. Jesus Movement - Chuck Smith/Lonnie Frisbee in Southern California (1970’s) / Teaching Revival - out of this move was birthed the quick spreading of the Word-of-Faith camp.
8. Vineyard healing revival with John Wimber (1980’s). This move of the Spirit had the unique quality of having both a healing AND Manifest Presence dynamic included in it. Most of the prior moves in this century had primarily one or the other, not both.
9. International renewal center in Lakeland Florida with Rodney Howard-Browne - reaching primarily main-line Pentecostals/Word-of-Faith (1993).
10. International renewal center in Toronto with John Arnott (Toronto Blessing). Primarily reached main line liturgical denominations (1994).
11. Pasadena Regional renewal/healing revival with Che Ahn & Lou Engle (1994-95).
12. Pensacola revival with evangelist with Steve Hill (1995). This was unique in that it was more of a salvation, holiness, "get-right-with-God" move.
13. Regional renewal in Smithton with Steve Gray (1995).
14. Regional healing revival in Redding with Bill Johnson (2000-to-present)
15. Todd Bentley national healing revival in Lakeland, Fla (2008). A signs and wonders move.
16. Regional renewal/healing with Rick Joyner in Fort Mill NC(2008) & a Regional healing revival in Atlanta with Jim Drown (2008). Both of these were birthed out of the Lakeland revival.
It is God's nature to heal. An Old Testament title used to describe an aspect of God's nature is found in Exodus: "'I am the LORD, who heals you'" (Ex 15:26). Certainly, if it was His nature to heal then, it is His nature to heal now. He does not change. Ps 103:3 speaks of the one "who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases." God is the Giver of Life. The devil destroys; the Lord God delivers. He makes alive. The Father sent the Son that we might have life, and that more abundantly (John 10:10).
God is love (1 John 4:8). It is His nature to love. God heals because it is an act of love. God's reason for delivering Israel, for loving them as a nation, was not because they were such a great or wonderful people, but because of His love. He had promised to be faithful to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and His covenant-keeping character was therefore displayed (Deut 7:7-8). Deeply woven into this relationship God had with His people was His love, so much so that a good rendering of the term for "faithfulness" in the Old Testament is "steadfast love."
God, the great Physician, is our Healer because He is Lord of the universe. He is sovereign over His creation. He has power to wound and to heal (Deut 32:39).
1. SPIRITUAL HEALING
The Lord wants to make us whole. He wants to minister total healing to us. We must be prepared and willing to receive His healing. Jesus asked the man who was an invalid for 38 years whether he wanted to become well. We should not allow prolonged suffering to rob our hope, confidence, dream and desire. The Lord wants to heal us spiritually. He wants to heal our backslidings. He wants us to come back to Him and be filled with His love and live in close fellowship to Him.
SCRIPTURE REFERENCES JOHN 5:1-9, 14; HOSEA 14:4 "I will heal their waywardness and love them freely, for my anger has turned away from them.
JEREMIAH 3:22 "Return, faithless people; I will cure you of backsliding." "Yes, we will come to you, for you are the LORD our God.
2. PHYSICAL HEALING
The Lord wants to heal us physically. The Lord is a healer. When we walk in obedience to Him, He promises to heal our sicknesses. We must claim the promises of God and experience His healing in our lives.
EXODUS 15:26 He said, "If you listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you."
PSALM 103:3 who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,
MALACHI 4:2 But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall.
MATTHEW 8:16-17 When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah: "He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases."
3. EMOTIONAL HEALING
The Lord wants to heal us emotionally. He wants to heal our broken hearts and wounded emotions and painful memories. We must not live all our lives with a broken heart because of a painful experience in the past. We must not live in fear that our past traumatic experiences will be repeated again. The Lord wants to reassure us that He will do a new thing in our lives and therefore we should be willing to forget the past and face the future with confidence.
PSALM 147:3 He heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds.
LUKE 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed,
ISAIAH 43:18-19 "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.
ISAIAH 54:7-10 "For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with deep compassion I will bring you back.
4. RELATIONAL HEALING
The Lord wants to heal us relationally. He wants to mend our broken relationships. The Lord wants us to be free from bitterness and anger. He wants us to be kind and tender hearted towards each other and forgive one another. Just as God has been merciful to us and forgave our sins, we must be willing to forgive others. When we obey His commandments we will experience loving relationships in our life.
EPHESIANS 4:31-32 get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
MARK 11:24-26 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your sins.
JAMES 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
5. VOCATIONAL HEALING
The Lord wants to heal us vocationally. He wants to bless the work of our hands and cause us to prosper in our endeavours. The disciples had tried all night to catch fish and failed to catch any. But the Lord gave them instructions to fish and they caught more fish than they could handle and had to get help from others. The Lord helped them to succeed where they had failed. The Lord wants to bless us in our vocation and bring healing in the areas where we have failed in the past.
LUKE 5:1-9 Simon answered, "Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."
When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. So they signalled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink. When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!"
For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken,
6. SOCIAL HEALING
The Lord wants to heal us socially. He wants to use us to bring healing to our society and community. The prophet Elisha healed the waters of the city and brought healing to the community. The prophet Elijah prayed for rain and brought prosperity to the land. The Lord wants us to carry a burden for our society and community and use our spiritual authority to bring the blessings of God upon it.
2 KINGS 2:19-22 the men of the city said to Elisha, "Look, our lord, this town is well situated, as you can see, but the water is bad and the land is unproductive." "Bring me a new bowl," he said, "and put salt in it." So they brought it to him. Then he went out to the spring and threw the salt into it, saying, "This is what the LORD says: ’I have healed this water. Never again will it cause death or make the land unproductive.’ " And the water has remained wholesome to this day, according to the word Elisha had spoken.
JAMES 5:17-18 Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.
7. NATIONAL HEALING: The Lord wants to heal us nationally. He wants to bring healing to the nation. When God’s people humble themselves and pray and seek the face the God and turn from their wicked ways, the Lord will hear their cry and heal their land. Our prayers for the nation can bring peace and prosperity to our land.
SCRIPTURE REFERENCES: 2 CHRONICLES 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
In conclusion, HEALING AVAILABLE TODAY
It is God's will for believers to enjoy the benefits of divine healing today. During Jesus' earthly ministry, He and His disciples healed those who came to them. Jesus carefully selected a group of followers to whom He entrusted the task of carrying on His ministry, for He fully intended that greater works than He had done should mark the lives and ministries of His disciples (John 14:12-13). Just before He ascended to heaven, Jesus gave this ringing promise to His faithful apostles and disciples: "These signs will accompany those who believe in my name... they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well" (Mark 16:17-18).
The Apostolic Church practiced divine healing, as Jesus clearly intended. (The authority of Matt 10:1 was never rescinded.) It was expected that supernatural deliverance from physical disorders should characterize the normal assembly in the first century. The Book of Acts shows it did.