Conqueor # 1c
We’ve been ministering on being an overcomer, a conqueror, but sometimes we don’t feel like a conqueror. Frankly, quite often we don’t feel like a conqueror. 2Cor 5:7
I) After Israel had been in bondage[RJ1] (slaves in Egypt) for some 400 years, they are finally let go by the mighty hand of God. They saw the miracles of God, not only in their deliverance, but also the pillar of fire and the parting of the Red Sea.
A) Now[RJ2] the come to the Jordan River and they send out 12 spies to check out the land. 10 of the 12 come back with a negative report.
II) Well[RJ3] , after wondering in the wilderness for 40 years it was time for Joshua to take over as the leader of the children of Israel[RJ4] .
A) For them to get out of the wilderness, their unbelief and wrong thinking had to go[RJ5] .
1) That’s the same for us. Many times people will feel that they’re going through a wilderness. It could be brought on by unbelief or wrong thinking[RJ6] .
B) Wilderness is not always a bad place to be.
1) It’s interesting that when Jesus was LED into the wilderness that all three of the synoptic Gospels use different words to describe Jesus being led into the wilderness. John doesn’t mention Jesus’ wilderness experience.
2) Luke 4:1-13
a) In verse 11 where it says Jesus was “LED” by the Spirit into the wilderness, the word “Led” simply means “To guide, to lead, take with one.”
b) The Holy Spirit will never leave us, even when we are in the wilderness.
3) In Mark 1:12 it says that the Spirit drove Him into the wilderness.
a) The word “Drove” means he was “SENT OUT” by the Holy Spirit into the wilderness, but the word “Drove” also includes the meaning, “be deprived of the power and influence he exercises in the world.”
4) However, in Matt 4:1 It says that Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil.
a) Now this word “LED” is different still. It means “to lead up, to lead or bring into a higher place[RJ7] .”
b) Sometimes the Holy Spirit will lead us into a solitude [RJ8] place, to be alone with Him.
(i) The wilderness isn’t necessarily bad, but it’s what you do with it that makes all the difference.
(ii) The spirit didn’t send Jesus to be tempted, the spirit sent Him to be alone and in fellowship with Him.
5) However, there is a time to come out of the wilderness or if you’re in a wilderness because of something in your own life, then it’s time to come out.
a) If that’s the case, the only way to get out of it is through faith [RJ9] and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
6) There are some definite steps that you have to take to get out of bondage and the wilderness and stay out.
C) After the children of Israel were delivered from the bondage of Egypt, they went to the wilderness.
1) In (ROM 15:4) it says, “For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.”
a) Things that are written in the O.T. are for our learning.
2) Sometimes, when we get out of bondage, victory comes gradual.
a) The Israelites went from Egypt (bondage) to the wilderness from the wilderness to the Canaan land and from Canaan to victory.
3) EXO 3:18
a) 1 of the 1st things that we need to do to come out of bondage or the wilderness, out of storms, trials, and out of dry places is to be a TRUE WORSHIPER.
(i) The 1st step to getting out of a wilderness is to be a worshipper.
(ii) Jesus said in JOHN 4:23 that the Father seeks true worshippers to worship Him in truth and in spirit.
D) The 2nd thing that the children of Israel needed to see was that GOD IS THEIR PROVIDER.
1) God provided them with manna from heaven and water from a rock; their clothes didn’t ware out.
a) To come out of that wilderness and to walk in victory we have to know that God is our provider and that He is our source.
2) We need to look to God and trust Him to meet our needs.
a) PSA 37:3
b) The Amplified translation says this best. “Trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) in the Lord and do good; so shall you dwell in the land and feed surely on His faithfulness, and truly you shall be fed.”
c) And of course, we all know (PHIL 4:19) “My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”
E) The 3rd thing that they had to know to get out of the wilderness and into the promise land was the importance of following God.
1) If you remember, God provided a cloud by day and a Pillar of fire by night to direct their paths.
a) We too must learn to follow His leadings and allow Him to direct our paths.
b) PSA 23:2-3
c) (PSA 37:23-24) Says, “The steps of a good (righteous) man are ordered by the Lord: and he delights in his way.”
III) But we just can’t stop there. Sometimes we get content in the area of provision found in the promise land. In the promise land, there are still many battles.
A) You may have come along way. You came from bondage but found yourself in wilderness. From the wilderness, you entered into the promise land[RJ10] . But now you need to go on to victory.
1) We need to go to absolute victory.
2) Look at the 1st thing the Lord said to Joshua when they were ready to come out of the wilderness. (After worshiper, God provider, lead by the Lord)
a) JOSHUA 1:2
b) Now go down to V 11.
3) This was “Faith for Victory.”
a) This is the faith that is needed to be a conqueror. “Bold Faith.”
4) (1st JOHN 5:4) says, “This is the victory that overcome the world, -- our faith.”
a) That’s what you need to have, “Faith for Victory.”
IV) But there was a final instruction that the people needed in order to be victorious.
A) JOSHUA 3:5
1) This word “Sanctify” means “to consecrate and purify.”
2) In order to see God’s miracles in your life we need to live a holy life before Him, and to sell out totally to Him.
3) I’m going to end with this final scripture. PSA 92:12;15 From the AMP “The [uncompromisingly] righteous shall flourish like the palm tree [be long-lived, stately, upright, useful and fruitful]; he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon [majestic, stable, durable and incorruptible]. (V15) [They are living memorials] to show that the Lord is upright and faithful to His promises; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.”
a) Your life can be a sign to all that God is faithful to His children and to His Word.
WOLCC 1/12/92 Sun 10:30am and 8/13/95 Sun and Sunday, April 26, 1998 & Sunday, June 17, 2001 & Sunday, January 25, 2004 March 7, 2004
Strong, J. (1996). The exhaustive concordance of the Bible : Showing every word of the test of the common English version of the canonical books, and every occurrence of each word in regular order. (electronic ed.) (G1544). Ontario: Woodside Bible Fellowship.
The New King James Version, Ro 15:4. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1996, c1982.
The Amplified Bible, Containing the Amplified Old Testament and the Amplified New Testament., Ps 37:3. La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1987.
It is possible to become content while in Bondage.
Num 13:33 Grasshopper mentality
Wrong thinking can put you in bondage.
2 Cor 10:4-5
We cannot allow ourselves to become complacent in provision
Rom 8:37 More than Conquers
Before you can move up and on with God there needs that time alone with God.
Wilderness means, “solitary, lonely, desolate, uninhabited.”
Even with Worship Heb 11:6
It’s possible to become content even in the promise land.