Ephesians # 30 Eph 6-10 thru 6-12
We’re going to continue on the book of Ephesians, so let’s pick up right where we left off last week.
I. EPH 6:10
A. This begins Paul’s conclusion, but this is not meaningless farewell, there are some very important teachings here.
1. Paul begins to talk about Spiritual warfare.
B. If the Christian is doing what Paul has exhorted us to do in the last 5 chapters, he will go through spiritual warfare.
1. If I was to give you a quick outline to the book of Ephesians, it will give you a better understanding of what we covered so far and we’ll be able to see better why the enemy wants to stop us.
a. Ephesians chapter 1 and 2 has to do with the calling of the Church, but it also has to do with God BLESSING us with all SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS.
i. (Ephesians 1:3) “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ.” KJV
ii. Chapter 2 goes into teaching us that we are dead to our old self. (Ephesians 2:1) Says, “And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins.” KJV
2. Chapter 2 also goes into OUR NEW POSITION IN CHRIST. (Ephesians 2:4-6) Says, “But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.” KJV
3. Chapter 3 gets into the MYSTERY OF GOD REVEALED.
a. (Ephesians 3:2-6) Says, “If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: 3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, 4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) 5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; 6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel.” KJV
4. Chapters 4, 5 and the 1st part of chapter 6 have to do with “The Conduct of the Church.”
a. (Ephesians 4:1-3) Has to do with “Walking in Unity,” which says, “I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called. 2 With all lowliness and meekness, with long-suffering, forbearing one another in love; 3 Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” KJV
b. Beginning in (EPH 4:17 through 32) Paul deals with HOLINESS.
i. (Ephesians 4:24) “And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.” KJV
5. The 1st part of Chapter 5 has to do with “Walking in love.”
a. (Ephesians 5:2) Says, “And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savour.” KJV
6. Starting in (EPH 5:7) Paul begins to instruct us to WALK IN THE LIGHT.
a. (Ephesians 5:8) “For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light.” KJV
7. Then in the last ½ of EPH 5 and the 1st part of EPH 6 Paul instructs us in WALKING IN WISDOM.
a. (Ephesians 5:17) Says, “Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.” KJV
II. If we’re doing that, we can expect SPIRITUAL WARFARE.
A. That’s why Paul now says in (Ephesians 6:10) “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.” KJV
1. The whole book so far has been written to cause to saints to grow in the things of God.
a. In doing so you are a threat to Satan and all of his cohorts.
b. Now you’re a soldier for God, able to put a stop to the enemy, but if we’re going to do battle you better have the ARMOR OF GOD on.
B. Look at EPH 6:11
1. The word “WILES” literally means “Cunning arts, deceit, craft, trickery.”
a. The NIV says, “Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.”
b. According to the Greek, this is a command that we put on the Armor of God, not just a request.
2. At this time in Paul’s life, he was in bonds, in chains. (Ephesians 6:20) Says, “For which I am an ambassador in bonds.”
a. Paul wrote this epistle while he was chained to a Roman soldier.
i. As he looked at the soldier, God gave him a revelation how we are to put on our spiritual armor.
3. Why are we to put on the ARMOR OF GOD?
a. “So that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.”
b. The word “ABLE” here means 2 different things that the KJV does not bring out.
i. 1st it means able to stand CONTINUOUSLY.
ii. We can’t take off our Armor. We have to be ready for battle at all times.
c. The 2nd meaning for the word “ABLE” is that it also means “POWER.”
i. It’s root word comes from the Greek word “dunamis”
a. “Dunamis” is God’s miracle working power.
ii. The Greek word that we have here means that “We might be able or have the strength and Power to stand against the enemy.”
4. Now when he says, “Stand against the wiles of the devil.”
a. “Stand” means “Hold you ground.”
i. Don’t give in to the attacks of the enemy, don’t give in to his deception.
ii. Don’t give up, your victory is coming.
b. Turn to JAMES 4:7
i. The word “Resist” also means “To withstand or stand against.”
ii. When you hold you ground, the enemy will flee from you.
iii. Paul even adds in (EPH 6:13) “Having done all, to stand. Stand therefore.”
iv. Don’t back down to the attacks of the enemy. Stay strong in the Lord and in the Power of His might.
c. Why? EPH 6:12
i. (Ephesians 6:12) “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” KJV
We’ll pick up from here next week.
WOLCC Thurs. 11/7/96