Faith Works by Love # 3
We’re going to pick up from where we left off last week. We’ve been talking about walking and living by faith in God and in His Word. For the last 2 weeks we’ve been on “Faith Which Worketh By Love.” I’m going to continue on that line of thought.
I. 1st of all, our main text for this teaching on love comes from (Galatians 5:6) Which says, “For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love. ” NKJV
A. The word “avails” means “Have Strength or to have Power.”
1. So what Paul is saying in that circumcision or uncircumcision has no Strength or Power, but what does have Strength and Power is FAITH which works by or thuough LOVE.
a. Even the word “working” According to the strong’s reveals that, 1 of the definitions of the word “working” is “To put forth power.”
(1) Faith will put forth it’s power by Love.
(2) Love is not a substitute for faith, (love and faith work together) but if we want our faith to work we have to walk in love.
2. 1JOHN 5:1
a. The New American Standard Version makes it a little clearer, and it says, (1 John 5:1) “Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God; and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him.” NASB
(1) The New Century Version says, “Whoever loves the Father also loves the Father’s children.” NCV
(2) But now we have to show the Love of God.
(a) (Philippians 2:12) Says, “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” KJV
b. Let’s go on reading 1JOHN 5:2-4
(1) Notice here how Love and Faith are put together in these Vs. You can’t separate love from faith and expect your faith to work.
(2) It would be like taking the tires off your car. Sure your engine might run, but you’re not going to get very far.
c. When we love God, we automatically love 1 another.
(1) (Romans 5:5) Says, “The love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.” KJV
(2) When we place our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ the very love of God came into our hearts.
(3) But just because we have the love of God in our hearts doesn’t mean that we’re walking in it.
(4) You have to make that decision that you are going to walk in love.
3. Look at 1JOHN 4:20-21
a. This is a commandment that we have from Jesus and that commandment is that we love 1 another, If we don’t then John is saying that we don’t love God.
(1) Now don’t feel condemned if you’re not perfect in this area, no one is.
(2) This commandment is just like the commandment of forgiveness. When someone does something wrong to you, you might have to forgive them every time you think of what they did.
b. Some times there are people that in the natural they are very unlovable, but every time that you see them or think of them you have to make a decision that you are going to walk in love toward them.
B. 1JOHN 2:9-10
1. What I want you to notice in (V 10), “He that loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no occasion of stumbling (missing it) in him.”
a. If you’re not receiving God’s promises’, If you’re missing it, check your love walk.
2. Turn to ROM 12:10
a. The last ½ of this V says “In honor preferring one another.”
(1) The word “Honor” literally means, “Value.”
(2) Paul is literally telling us that we need to Value our brothers and sisters in the Lord more highly than ourselves.
b. PHIL 2:1-3
(1) In these Vs here Paul is telling us, “to walk in love, to be in unity, and to esteem (think or consider) the other better than yourself.”
c. The true God kind of love that we need to have one for another is “to value our brother or sister more highly than ourselves.”
(1) Paul even goes on to give us a hint on how to do that, PHIL 2:4
(2) The NIV is a little clearer (Philippians 2:4) “Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.”
3. Look at MATT 23:11-12
a. In other words, “He that is greatest among you will serve others.”
4. The Living Bible says, “To be the greatest, be a servant.”
5. In (MARK 10:45) Jesus said, “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (NIV)
a. Paul said in (1COR 3:12-15) that all of our works will be made manifest and tried by fire, some works will remain and we’ll receive the reward for it, others will be burnt by the fire.
(1) I want my works to remain, in order for them to remain, they have to be done by love.
(2) The greatest work or fruit that we could have that will remain is for us to walk in love.
II. It’s possible for a person to be part of the family of God, know the Lord and even be serving the Lord, even to be a minister and not walking in the Royal Law of Love.
A. If they’re not walking in love they’re not walking in faith.
1. Faith worketh by love.
B. ROM 13:8-9
1. Paul said that we are to love thy neighbor as thyself.
a. Paul said it, James said it, but Jesus even said it.
b. Jesus said in (Matthew 19:19) “Honor thy father and [thy] mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.” (KJV)
2. Sometimes people have a question about who thy Neighbor is.
a. According to Jesus, it’s any man, woman, or child.
b. That means that we are to walk in love to everyone.
3. Go back to what Paul said in ROM 13:8b-11. (“Comprehended” means “Summed up.”)
a. If we want to be free from sin and to keep God’s commandments, we must walk in love.
C. Look at EPH 4:30-5:2 (No breaks between chapters.)
1. Paul said in order for us to walk in love, we have to put aside the differences that we may have and walk in unity.
a. In (Psalm 133:1-2) David said, “Behold, how good and how pleasant [it is] for brethren to dwell together in unity! (2) [It is] like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, [even] Aaron’s beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments.” (KJV)
b. The ointment that David refers to is in reference to the anointing.
(1) The anointing of God is where the church has its power.
(2) More than anything else, the Devil wants to stop the anointing of the church.
(a) It the anointing that shall destroy every yoke of bondage. (Isaiah 10:27)
c. There’s power in that anointing, but it only will come as we put God 1st, Walk in love and stay in unity.
III. (1COR 13:8) says, “Love never fails.”
A. Why is it that love never fails?
1. It’s because when you’re walking in love, you’re keeping all of God’s commandments.
2. You’re allowing the Anointing of God to flow through you.
a. You’re opening up the channels to receive all that God has for you.
b. Your faith will be powerful and effective. (If you’re walking in love.)
B. Paul said in (Ephesians 5:1-2) “Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; (2) And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us.” (KJV)
1. We have a God of faith. We are to be a people of faith.
2. We have a God of Love. We are also to walk in love.
3. Remember Love never fails.
Faith Works by Love # 3
WOLCC Sun AM 12/18/94 and Sun Am 10/13/96 & 3/19/06
The New King James Version. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1996, c1982. Ga 5:6.
Strong, J. The Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible : Showing Every Word of the Test of the Common English Version of the Canonical Books, and Every Occurence of Each Word in Regular Order. electronic ed. Ontario: Woodside Bible Fellowship., 1996. G1754.