Galatians # 17 Gal 5-14 thru 5-21
We’re going to continue on the book of Galatians, so let’s pick up where we left off last time.
I) GAL 5:13-14
A) In (V 13) Paul says that we are CALLED UNTO LIBERTY and that is in reference to the law.
1) Paul is telling us that we don’t have to go back and keep the Mosaic Law.
2) In (V 14) he says, “For all the law is fulfilled in one word.”
(a) 1st of all in (V 13) he tells us that we are free from the LAW, but in (V 14) He says, that we fulfill the Law.
(b) What is it? Are we free from the Law or do we fulfill the law?
3) We’re talking about 2 different LAWS here.
(a) We are free from the Mosaic Law, the law of customs, traditions, and rituals.
(b) But there is another Law that we do keep and that is the MORAL LAW. Basically that’s what comes from the 10 commandments.
4) But we still can’t keep this Law in ourselves. We don’t have the Power or the ability to keep the Moral Law by our self.
(a) But Paul tells how we can keep the Moral Law, and that’s by keeping a HIGHER LAW and that is the ROYAL LAW OF LOVE.
(i) (James 2:8) Says, “If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, ye do well.” KJV
(ii) James calls the LOVE WALK the Royal Law.
(iii) The word ROYAL means CHIEF or KING.
(iv) Love is the Chief of the Laws or the King of all the Laws.
(b) Love is not going to do something against God or someone else.
(i) If you have missed it and sinned against God, which is a result of not walking in love, you need to go to God and ask God for forgiveness.
(ii) If you missed it and sinned against a brother or a sister in the Lord (or anyone for that matter) which again is result of not walking in love, you need to go to that person and ask them for your forgiveness.
(iii) Look at MATT 5:22-24
(iv) When were in error, we need to made it right with our brother or sister or we will not be able to enter into the presence of God.
(v) It’s much better to continuously walk in love.
B) GAL 5:15-16
1) In (V 15) Paul says, “If ye bite and devour one another.”
(a) What does a person bite with?
(i) The mouth. So Paul is speaking here of sins of the Tongue – Gossiping, back biting, and Malicious talk.
(ii) Biting and devouring which are sins of the mouth always ends up in someone being consumed.
(iii) You bite an apple enough times and it will be gone.
2) In (V 16) Paul says, “I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.”
(a) What does “WALK IN THE SPIRIT” mean?
(b) It means to be led by the Spirit of God that resides on the inside of us and witnesses to our human spirit.
(i) The HS will guide us and His guidance is always in line with the Word of God.
(ii) If we walk in the Spirit we will always walk in LOVE.
C) GAL 5:17
1) Abraham had no problem in his household until he became involved with Hagar.
(a) Hagar was a symbol of the flesh, and as long as Hagar was kept on the level of a slave everything was fine.
(b) But when she rose to the position of an equal with Sarah, (Symbol of the Spirit), everything started to go wrong.
2) The flesh and the Spirit are at war against each other.
(a) We need to keep the flesh in its right place, a slave to the Spirit.
II) GAL 5:18
A) Keeping the Law is a work of the flesh.
1) When you allow yourself to become subject to the Law, you’re becoming subject to the flesh.
(a) Then you will reap a harvest of the flesh, but if you walk after the Spirit you will reap the blessing of Abraham.
B) GAL 5:19-21
1) The NIV words it this way, (Galatians 5:19-21) “The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; (20) idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissension’s, factions (21) and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.” NIV
2) Notice that in both translations WITCHCRAFT is mentioned as a work of the flesh.
(b) It’s used to get your own way.
(c) Look at 1SAM 15:23
(i) Teenagers use rebellion, mostly, so that they can do their own thing and get their own way.
(ii) Very simply, it’s manipulation.
C) Go back to GAL 5:
1) At the end of (V 21) Paul says, “Those who practice such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”
(a) Is it worth your salvation?
2) GAL 5:22-25. We’ll pick up with this next week.
Galatians#17 Gal 5:14- 5:21
WOLCC Thursday 7/31/1997 GAL 5:14-21
The New King James Version. 1982 (Ga 5:16). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.