Galatians # 20 Gal 5-16 thru 5-25
We’re teaching on the Book of Galatians and from the 2 Vs that we just read we can see that were on the fruit of the spirit. So far we’ve talked about Love and Joy, and now we’re on the subject of PEACE. If you’re born again you have this fruit available to you and probably you walked in this fruit. This fruit of the spirit is fruit of the human spirit. The H.S. is love, joy, peace and so on, when you received the H.S. you received this fruit into your spirit.
We may have not arrived; we may not be walking in this fruit 100% of the time, but don’t condemn yourself just because you haven’t arrived.
I) Fruit has to grow.
A) It starts off as a bud, then the flower, and then the small fruit begins to grow, until it finally becomes mature, ready for harvest.
1) The fruit of the spirit in our lives will grow if we provide the right environment for it.
B) 1st we have to practice walking in the fruit of the spirit.
1) A farmer does not become 100% successful without practice.
(a) We have to continue to practice walking in the fruit of the spirit.
C) 2nd we have to cultivate the ground around the plant that produces the fruit. You have to get the weeds out.
1) Weeds can choke the plant and stop the fruit from growing.
(a) We’re going to have to crucify the flesh.
(i) Paul said in (1 Corinthians 9:27) “But I keep under my body, and bring [it] into subjection.”
2) The flesh and the spirit are at war against each other.
(a) GAL 5:16-17
(b) That’s why we have to crucify the flesh, so that the fruit of the spirit can grow.
D) The 3rd thing that is needed is to water it. Fruit needs water.
1) You water it by the Word of God.
(a) It’s the Word of God that is going to renew your mind.
2) It’s in your mind that you’re going to make the decision to either walk in the spirit or to follow after the lust of the flesh.
(a) You have to make the choice to allow the fruit of the spirit to manifest.
3) But there is another way to water this FRUIT and that is by spending time in God’s presence.
(a) We’ve heard the scripture from (PSA 16:11) which says, “In thy presence is fullness of joy.”
(i) But it’s just as true to say, “In His presence in the fullness of PEACE.”
II) We already found out from the Word that GOD IS LOVE and that He has Joy, He rejoices over you, but what about PEACE?
A) ROM 15:33 That V. says “The God of Peace.” That makes it sound like God is the creator of Peace and He is.
1) 1COR 14:33 In other words this is saying that God is not the author of confusion, but He is the author of Peace. (1THES 5:23) Says, “And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly.”
2) (2THES 3:16) Says, “Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means.”
(a) Jesus said in (JOHN 14:27) “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth.”
B) ROM 14:17
1) This tells us that the kingdom of God is made up of at least righteousness, Peace, and Joy in the Holy Ghost.
(a) That’s good news, there is peace in heaven.
2) But (Luke 17:21) Says, “The kingdom of God is within you.”
III) Look at PHIL. 4:7
A) 1st of all there is a peace of God that passes all understanding.
1) In (JOHN 16:33) Jesus said, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” (KJV)
(a) “In the world,” Jesus said, “you will have tribulation,” storms. But you can still have and should have Peace on the inside, the peace of God, Peace that passes all understanding.
2) Back in (PHI 4:7) Paul says that this peace will keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
(a) God gives us this kind of peace in our hearts, or spirit and our minds.
IV) We are also at PEACE with God.
A) ROM 5:1
1) What caused us to have peace with God?
(a) When we were born again or you could say when we received Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
2) COL 1:18-22 (V 20) Says that Jesus made Peace through His Blood.
(a) Jesus is the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world.
(b) Jesus had to offer His Blood on the Heavenly Holy of Holies so that we could be redeemed from our sins.
3) Not only did the blood of Jesus provide redemption for us but it also brought us to a place where we have peace with God and we have that peace within.
4) (COL 1:21) Says that at 1 time we were enemies of God, but now through the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ we are God's children and we are at peace with Him.
B) EPH 2:13-19
1) It’s all because of the work of the Lord Jesus Christ and the shedding of His Blood, that we’re at peace with God.
2) There was a time when we we’re enemies of God, there was like a great wall between us, we couldn’t come to God and He couldn’t come to us; so He sent Jesus who broke down that middle wall of partition between us and reconciled us to God.
(a) We are at peace with God, and God is not mad at you.
V) Now that we’re at Peace with God, there is also a place of being led by the Peace of God in our hearts.
A) COL 3:15
1) That’s telling us to follow after the Peace of God, which we have in our spirits. This is all part of being led by the Spirit of God.
(a) (ROM 14:19) Says, “Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace.”
2) (2TIM 2:22) Says, “Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” (KJV)
(a) This is not talking about an outward peace, Jesus said, “In the world you will have tribulation,” this is talking about an inward Peace.
3) If you’re out of God’s will, you will lose your peace. If you’re in sin you will lose your Peace.
B) Back in (PHI 4:7) it says, “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” (KJV)
1) Not only will God give you a peace in your heart, but He will also give you peace in your mind. I think that we all want PEACE OF MIND.
2) (PHI 4:6) Says, “Be careful for nothing.”
(a) The word “CAREFUL” means “WORRY.”
(i) The H.S. is telling you not to worry. You have the power to refuse to worry.
3) (1PET 5:7) Says, “Casting all your care upon him.”
(a) If the Lord has told you to cast all your cares and all your worries upon Him, then you have the ability to do it.
(b) ? What happens when all your worries are gone? You have peace of mind.
C) ROM 8:6
1) ? How are we going to be spiritually minded so we can have life and Peace?
2) ROM 12:2
(a) That’s talking about getting your mind filled with the Word of God.
(b) ? And what does that enable you to do?
3) Exactly what it says in (2COR 10:5) You will be able to “Cast down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.” (KJV)
4) If our minds are renewed we’ll be able to do what it says in (PHI 4:8) thinking on the things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, things that are of good report, if there be any virtue, or praise.
VI) If you will do these things, cast your cares upon the Lord, renew your mind, and be obedient to the will of God, you will have total peace, a peace that passes understanding.
A) Let the peace of God rule in your hearts.