Galatians # 8 Gal 3-15 thru 3-25
We’re going to continue the teaching from the book of Galatians.
I) Let’s pick up with GAL 3:15-16
A) Here in (V 15) Paul begins an analogy (or a comparison) between the Abrahamic Covenant and a legal agreement.
1) Paul’s trying to make the Covenant God made with Abraham clear by bring it down to human terms.
(a) So he begins to compare it to a covenant (or a contract) drawn up between 2 individuals on earth.
2) (Galatians 3:15) From the NIV says, “Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case.” NIV
(a) What Paul’s saying here is that once a covenant (contract) is drawn up between 2 people and both parties agree to it and “Confirmed” (which means “Made valid”) (today signed) IT CANNOT BE CHANGED without the agreement of both parties.
3) So what Paul is saying is that this rule also applies to the Abrahamic Covenant.
B) Let’s read GAL 3:16 again.
1) The covenant was not made up between the Lord Jesus Christ and US, but it was made up between Abraham and Jesus.
(a) We’re not mentioned here and if we were to stop here it would look like we were left out of the covenant.
(i) But thank God the Bible doesn’t end here.
2) I’m getting a little ahead of myself here but look down to GAL 3:27-29
3) Abraham was the 1st Jew, but what made Abraham a Jew?
(a) The answer to that is found in GAL 3:6
(b) But who are the heirs or descendants of Abraham?
(i) GAL 3:7
C) The true Jew is not a natural seed, but a spiritual seed.
1) That’s not to put down the Jewish nation in any way, they are God’s chosen people.
2) But in the spiritual sense (scripturally) the true seed of Abraham are those that have put there faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
(a) Turn with me to 2COR 5:17
(i) Paul is talking about what has taken place on the inside of a person that has received Jesus as Lord and savior.
(ii) You’re not brand new of the outside. You still look the same on the outside. There may be a new glow to you, but you’re still the same on the outside.
(b) The change has taken place on the INSIDE. Your spirit is now brand new.
(i) Jesus said to the UNBELIEVING in (JOHN 8:44) “Ye are of your father the Devil.”
(ii) Their unbelief made them descendants of Satan.
(iii) They took on the NATURE of their father, which was Satan. (John also makes reference to the children of the Devil in 1JOHN 3:10)
3) What was it that caused the miracle of a recreated spirit on the inside of you?
(a) What was it that caused you to change from Satan being your father to God being your Father?
(b) Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
(i) No longer are we the descendants of Satan, now we are the descendants of God, the children of God.
4) The Christian really has the best in 2 ways.
(a) Because of our faith WE ARE THE SEED OF ABRAHAM, partakers of the Abrahamic Covenant and the Blessings of Abraham.
(i) (Galatians 3:7) From the NIV says, “Understand, then, that those who believe (have faith) are children of Abraham.” NIV
(b) But the Bible also says that we are the CHILDREN OF GOD, which makes us HEIRS of GOD and JOINT HEIRS with the Lord Jesus Christ.
(i) (Galatians 3:26) Says, “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.” KJV
(ii) So we are the seed of Abraham and the Children of God by faith.
D) GAL 3:17-18
1) Paul says that the LAW came 430 years after the promise was given to Abraham.
(a) The law cannot disannul the promises of God making them of none affect.
(i) Paul goes on to add in (V 18) that if the inheritance and the promises of God came by the Law, then why did God give the promise.
(ii) But God did give the promise of the inheritance and the blessings to Abraham.
(b) Then why did God give the Law?
2) GAL 3:19-25
(a) Why was the Law given? To bring us to Christ.
(i) The law revealed to us that before we had Jesus in our lives we are under sin and the penalty of sin is death. (ROM 6:23)
(ii) It also reveals that we need to be saved from this Law of SIN and DEATH. AND IT POINTS US TO Jesus THE SAVIOR.
Galatians#8 Gal 3:15-3:25.docx
WOLCC Thursday 4/24/97