Joshua's success at Jericho demonstrated clearly that Joshua had taken position as the Commander of Israel with an astonishing sense of leadership. What does it take to be a leader for the kingdom of God? (I'm not talking about 5 fold ministry.) Just to follow God & His leadings & to be bold about it. That's exactly what Joshua did.
Joshua had to understand God in a way that produced confidence. He discovered that God's resources were available to him. He was convinced of the dependability of God.
I. We need to make sure that we don't have a false confidence about God.
A. God is not a genie in a bottle, & you just rub Him a certain way & you get what you want.
B. After Joshua led Israel to victory over Jericho, they went right to the city of AI.
1. Joshua went right into the natural to try to get to do the will of God.
2. We can't let our past victories go to our head.
a. Do you know what I mean by letting it go to your head?
b. Thinking that you're so great, that you did it by yourself.
3. JOSHUA 7:1-2
a. Joshua sent men to the city of AI.
i. There is nothing wrong with spying out the land.
ii. The Lord told Moses to spy out the Canaan land.
b. When Joshua's men came back from spying out the land, they had a good report.
i. JOSHUA 7:3-4a
c. The report came back that this city was easy.
4. JOSHUA 7:4-5
a. What happened?
b. God never said, GO!
i. Joshua never sought the Lord if Israel should go into battle against Ai.
ii. Not until their attack failed, then he sought the Lord.
C. After Joshua got God's direction on what the problem was & how to fix it, look at what Lord said. JOSHUA 8:1
1. It's important that we get God's direction, especially before we make any big decisions.
2. The reason that Israel was defeated at 1st in Ai, was because of sin. The sin of Achan. (“Accursed thing,” Heb. “Devoted or dedicated to God”)
II. After Israel defeated Ai, Joshua was drawn into battle against an alliance of 5 mountain kings.
A. Joshua 10:8
1. He went on the assurance of God's Word.
2. 1st of all Israel had God's direction.
B. When God gave Him this Word, He acted on it.
1. To everyone's surprise he marched his troops all through the night to battle.
2. JOSHUA 10:9
a. The word “suddenly” in the Hebrew means “By surprise.”
b. In this battle Joshua prayed for the sun & moon to stand still so they could defeat their enemy before dark.
3. JOSHUA 10:13-14
a. Joshua was in complete cooperation & partnership with God.
i. Joshua spoke directly to the Sun & moon to stand still & God responded to the words of a man.
C. Look at V 16
1. After the kings went into the cave, Joshua ordered the cave to be shut with stones. (guard)
2. After the battle was over Joshua had the 5 kings brought before him.
a. Look what happened in V 24. (JOSHUA 10:24)
i. This symbolized Israel's total victory.
ii. After this victory Israel could have just taken it easy, but Joshua continued to press on to victory upon victory.
3. Before Joshua rested, 31 kings & kingdoms would fall.
a. Israel had an assurance in God that could not be quenched.
III. We need to have this same confidence in God.
A. Know that you have authority over the enemy, & know that God will lead you on from victory upon victory.
1. God wants you to put your foot on your enemies' neck.
2. PSA 18:39-40
a. Now of course people are not our enemies, but it is principalities & powers.
B. Look at PHIL 1:28 (Little blind to us)
1. Listen to how the AMP words it. “And do not [for a moment] be frightened or intimidated in anything by your opponents & adversaries, for such [constancy & fearlessness] will be a clear sign (proof & seal) to them of [their impending] destruction; but [a sure token & evidence] of your deliverance & salvation, & that from God.”
2. 1 of our enemies most devastating tactics is FEAR & INTIMIDATION.
a. If he can get you into this arena, he will begin to control you with uncertainty & confession.
b. But when the revelation of Jesus' victory over the enemy comes alive on the inside, you can have victory in any struggle.
i. Joshua's victory went far beyond his own ability.
ii. His successes could not have come through human effort alone.
iii. He became thoroughly convinced that he had access to God's unlimited power.
IV. There were 3 main principles that brought Joshua from 1 victory to another.
A. These same principles can be keys for your own success.
1. The 1st was a commitment to do all that God has commanded.
a. JOSHUA 11:15
i. It's important that we keep God's Word, that we obey it & that we follow his directions.
ii. Don't become slack in doing what God has said.
b. Determine to live a committed life without comprise.
2. The 2nd principle Joshua revealed was boldness to occupy new territory.
a. We must not come to a place to where we say, “We have come far enough.”
i. If we do we become stagnant.
ii. Stagnant water may look peaceful, but it becomes bitter, it can even become poisonous & deadly.
b. Joshua went from victory to victory & we're told to go from glory to glory.
c. 2COR 3:18
i. AMP says, “And all of us, as with unveiled face, [because we] continue to behold [in the Word of God] as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are constantly being transformed into His very own image in ever increasing splendor & from one degree of glory to another; [for this comes] from the Lord [Who is] the Spirit.”
ii. Allow the Word of God to saturate you daily, it will bring a continual change.
iii. We'll pass from 1 degree of glory to another.
d. The question Joshua asked is just as important today.
i. Look at JOSHUA 18:3
ii. Don't be stagnant, but reach out & obtain God's promises.
iii. Occupy new territory.
3. The 3rd principle to obtain victory upon victory is to have a deep confidence in God's faithfulness to His promises.
a. JOSHUA 21:45
i. The Berkeley translation says, “Of all the good promises which the Lord had made to the house of Israel, not 1 failed; they were all fulfilled.
b. 2COR 1:20 (read NIV)
i. Through our commitment to obey the Word of God, to continue to occupy new territory without becoming stagnant, & having a confidence that God is faithful, we'll begin to move from victory to victory.
ii. Continue to have that deep relationship & communion with God & not only will we go from victory to victory, but we'll go from faith to faith, victory to victory, & from glory to glory.
WOLCC 8/28/93 SUN AM much of this used in Conqueror #1a and Conqueror # 4 the last 3/4 of this message is preached in the message called "Continuing in Victory."