I just wanted to share a few things with you tonight about marriage and keeping your marriage together.
I) The 1st thing that I want to share issue order of priorities.
A) Many times people will put their family or their spouse before God, but as Matthew 6:33 says, But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
1) Your relationship with God has to be 1st in your life.
2) Every couple is going to have their fights and disagreements but the thing that is going to keep you together is 1st of all your relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.
B) Paul said in Ephesians 5:25, "Husbands, Love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for it."
1) Paul said something similar in Colossians 3:18. He said, "Husbands, Love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
a) As the Word of God says that we should not let the sun go down upon our wrath.
b) Men and women when something arises in your marriage, which causes you to become angry, you need to humble yourselves and do everything possible to make up as soon as possible.
(i) I'm not saying that you have to admit that you're wrong when you feel that you're not. You can disagree on something and not be disagreeable.
(ii) But if you are wrong be man enough or woman enough to admit it, and asked your spouse to forgive you.
2) Again Paul said in Colossians 3:18 that the husbands should not be bitter against their wives.
a) When anger against your spouse continues it will develop into bitterness which becomes a stronghold and takes work to break.
b) It's better to be quick to forgive and to make up.
C) In Ephesians 5:33 Paul said that the wives should "REVERENCE" their husbands.
1) The Word reverence means more to "HONOR and RESPECT."
2) In Titus 2:4 Paul said that the women should also love their husbands.
a) Love is a choice, feelings come and go.