Prosper # 1
In our effort to proclaim the Whole Gospel of Jesus Christ, we have not done a very good job in 1 area. What do I mean by the whole Gospel?
I. In order to answer that we have to turn to LUKE 4:16-22
A. What I want you to notice here is that Jesus did not simply make the statement, “This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.”
1. The 1st part of (V 21) says, “He began to say unto them.”
a. That's another way to say, “He began His message by saying, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ear.”
b. This wasn't the only thing that He said, this was only the beginning.
i. Luke felt that the message was not necessary to write.
ii. Basically Luke just gave a summary of the message.
2. (V 22) is further proof that Jesus must have preached a message. (READ IT V 22)
B. In light of these Vs (LUKE 4:16-22) Jesus probable preached that He was anointed to preach.
1. To the captives, He preached deliverance.
2. To the brokenhearted, He preached healing.
3. To the blind, He preached recovery of sight.
C. In these Vs that we read Jesus outlined that the Gospel covers many areas.
D. We have preached healing, recovering of sight, deliverance, and new birth to the poor; but we have not even scratched the surface in preaching the Gospel to the poor.
II. What is the Gospel to the poor?
A. That Jesus has come and they don't have to be poor anymore.
1. Not very many poverty-stricken people have heard the whole Gospel.
2. People have said that prosperity is an American Gospel.
a. You can preach the message of prosperity to all the 3rd world countries.
i. The Gospel is true to all, and not just to 1 or 2 groups.
b. There is a reason why these 3rd world countries are not prospering.
i. The Gospel has not been preached there to any great measure.
ii. Where the light of God's Word is missing, the Devil has a legal right to be there.
iii. If you remember in (MATT 12) (Lets just turn there) MATT 12:43-45
iv. It's the same thing with the spirit of poverty, If we bind that spirit of poverty over a country, but the Gospel is not preached there the evil spirit will come back with more evil spirits, & the last state of the man will be worse. The Word of God works where ever it's preached.
B. Look at Luke 7:20-22
1. The works that Jesus did here is the Gospel.
a. The word “Gospel” means “Good News.”
2. In (V 22) what is good news to the blind?
a. Salvation, But specifically in this case that the blind will see.
b. The Good News to the lame is that they will walk.
c. To the leper that they will be healed.
d. To the deaf that they will hear.
e. To the dead that they will be raised.
3. What is the Good News to the poor?
i. That God will prosper them.
C. There are 2 main things that you need to know about prosperity.
1. 1st you need to know that it is God's will to prosper His people. 3JOHN 2
a. The word “Wish” in this V would be better translated “Pray.”
b. The apostle John that walked with Jesus, knew Jesus, and served the Lord for many, many years, who would soon write the book of revelation, said “I pray for your prosperity.” (Also said many other things in this V)
2. The 2nd thing we need to know is the reason for God prospering us.
a. Look at EPH 4:28
b. The whole purpose of gainful employment and prosperity is to take God's laws and prosper by them and then do something about the poverty in the world.
i. That would include giving to the church, but it also includes giving to those that are without.
ii. (MAT 6:19-20) Says, “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon Earth, where moth & rust doth corrupt, & where thieves break through & steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.”
3. God loves us & wants the best for us, but many times are motives are wrong when we are asking for prosperity.
a. JAMES 4:3
i. The word “consume” in this V means “Spend in a bad sense, To waste.”
ii. The word “Lust” means “pleasure.”
b. I like it the way the NIV puts it, “When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your own pleasures.”
III. Sure God wants you to be blessed financially, but He doesn't want you to hoard up all the riches for yourself.
A. Look at PSA 35:27
1. God does take pleasure when we prosper.
2. He just wants us to do it with the right motives.
B. MATT 6:33
1. This V gives us some good insight to how prosperity comes.
2. 1st we need to have faith in God's Word that prosperity belongs to us.
3. 2nd we must truly be seeking the kingdom of God.
a. That means putting His kingdom 1st, in every area, including financial.
4. The 3rd thing that we need to do is to seek righteousness. We have to live a holy life before Him.
C. Nehemiah 2:20
WOLCC SUN AM 4-4-93