Spirit Led # 2
Last time we were on being led by the Spirit of God, and that’s where I want to pick up today.
I) We covered (1THES 5:23) which says, “Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ
A) This V shows us that man is a 3 part being, spirit, soul or mind, & body.
1) The spirit of man is the real man. Your body is just a housing for the spirit.
a) It’s with your spirit that you contact God.
b) Jesus said in (JOHN 4:23) that “The true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father is seeking such to worship him.”
II) All right let’s look at the spirit of man & how to be led by the H.S.
A) I would say that probably the most authoritative way the HS will lead us is thru Visions.
1) Notice that I said the most authoritative way, not the most common way.
a) In fact visions is the least common way the HS will lead someone.
2) ACTS 10:1-6.
a) Cornelius had a vision of an angel.
b) And this angel gave some guidance to Cornelius.
B) JOSH 5:13-6:5.
1) This must have been the Lord. Angels will not accept worship.
2) The Lord gave Joshua some special instructions on defeating the enemy.
C) In these 2 examples we see something totally different.
1) Cornelius was a man who was not a preacher or prophet. He was not even saved.
a) Yet God gave him a vision.
2) Joshua was one of God’s greatest generals that ever lived.
a) It doesn’t matter where you are, God can give you a vision, But it’s as the Spirit wills, not as we will. 1 COR 12:11 says, “But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills. KKJV
b) KJV - But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.”
(i) Visions not only are given for guidance, but sometimes they are given to reveal something.
D) In (2 KINGS 5) Elisha told Naaman who was Captain of the Syrian Army, , who had leprosy, to dip 7 times in the river Jordan and he would be healed.
1) So he did. And when he was healed he wanted to give Elisha something for it.
a) Elisha did not want to receive anything for it.
b) But Gehazi, the servant of Elisha, thought something different.
2) 2KINGS 5:20-27.
a) I had you read these Vs so that you could see that the man of God had something revealed to him by the spirit of God.
E) Also a vision can be given for instruction or teaching.
1) If you remember the vision Cornelius had of the angel back in (ACTS 10); if we would have read down a little further to (V15) we would have seen that Peter also had a vision.
a) In that vision Peter saw different kinds of unclean animals, according to the Jewish customs.
b) During that vision the Lord spoke to him and said, “Rise, Peter, kill and eat.” Peter said, “Not so, Lord, I never eat anything unclean.”
(i) The Lord said, “What God has cleansed, do not call unclean.”
(ii) The instruction that Peter got was that the Gentiles also had the same way of salvation. That God is no respecter of persons. [My vision church our own building, Chris]
2) But let me say this again, God does not normally lead us this way. It’s not that He wont, but He chooses to lead us differently.
III) Another way God leads us, which is not as authoritative as a vision, is the VOICE OF THE HS.
A) Lets go back and look at Peter again in ACTS 10:19-20.
1) This voice is still somewhat authoritative. You might even think it was an audible voice.
2) 1SAM 3:1-9. You can read on later to see what the Lord had to say.
a) But what I wanted you to see was that Samuel heard a voice that sounded like an audible voice, but it wasn’t, if it was Eli would have heard.
b) My experiences, in Bob Yandan’s church, & Praying on the couch.
IV) The next way that God leads someone & the most common is by that still small voice, some call it the inward witness.
A) ROM 8:16.
1) Notice what he says in that Verse that the Spirit bears witness with our spirits.
a) This is the primary way that God leads all of His children.
2) 1JOHN 4:4.
a) When he says “Greater is He that is in you,” Who is he talking about?
(i) It’s the HS. Thank God that we have the Spirit of God on the inside of us. In the OT only the priest, prophets, & kings were anointed by the H.S., but the Spirit was not in them it was only upon them.
b) Today all who are born-again have the Spirit, but not just upon them but in them.
3) MATT 10:16-20.
a) In (V 20) he said that it was the spirit that was doing the speaking.
b) We know that when we are baptized in the spirit, it is the Spirit that gives us the utterance, but we have to do the speaking.
(i) Jesus is saying the same thing here. The H.S. will give us the words to say but you have to speak them out.
(ii) Well, how will we get the words?
(iii) As (ROM 8:16) Says “He bears witness with our spirit.”
4) 1JOHN 5:10a “He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself.”
a) There is what you can call a knowing on the inside.
(i) In this particular V it’s talking about salvation. A knowing that you have salvation.
(ii) When the H.S. says something to you, if you’re sensitive to Him, you have a knowing; you know that you know.
b) Look at 1JOHN 3:14.
(i) How do we know that we have passed from death unto life?
(ii) Because we love the brethren? Yes & no that will be a sign. If you are saved you will love the brethren.
(a) But, just because we love one another doesn’t prove anything.
(b) Then how do you know that you have eternal life?
(1) 1st by the Word.
(2) 2nd You have the witness on the inside. The H.S. witnesses it to your spirit that you have passed from death to life. You know that you know.
5) Jesus said in (JOHN 16:13) that the H.S. will shew you things to come.
a) Listen to the voice of your spirit & the voice of the H.S. He will show you things to come.
b) He’s speaking to you but you have to listen.
TFC 1/27/91 SUN AM & WOLCC 3/7/93 SUN AM and Sunday 7/29/99. Sunday, April 29, 2001 & WOLCC Sunday, October 19, 2003, & Sunday 1/21/07
Spirit Led #2
1 Thess. 3:13
set you apart
1 Cor. 1:8, 9
The New King James Version. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1982). 1 Th 5:23.
Rom. 12:6; 2 Cor. 10:13
The New King James Version. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1982). 1 Co 12:11.
The Holy Bible : King James Version. 1995 (1 Co 12:11). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.