Understanding the Anointing pt 6
We’re teaching on the Anointing of God, and that you are anointed.
I) In (1 John 2:20) it says, “But ye have an unction from the Holy One.” KJV
A) The Word “UNCTION” is the same Greek work for “ANOINTING.”
1) In other words John is saying that you have an anointing from the Holy One.
2) But that anointing is not some place far off or hard to find.
(a) John goes on the tell us in (1 John 2:27) “But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you.” KJV
(b) That word “ABIDETH” means “REMAINS or DWELLS.”
(c) Before you can walk in the anointing, you have to realize that you are anointed.
II) But today I want to move from the subject that you are anointed, to the “Purpose for the Anointing.”
A) Turn with me to JOHN 15:8
1) Sometimes people have learned a little bit about the anointing, but they don’t know how to use it, so they use it in the wrong way.
(a) Let me give you an example to this in the natural: You might have a stick of dynamite, which in the right setting it can be very useful, but if you try to use it on a child’s birthday cake, it can be very harmful.
B) It’s the same thing with the anointing. Turn with me to EZE 22
1) In this chapter the Lord is speaking to Ezekiel about the sin that Israel was in, but I want you to see 1 V here EZE 22:28
(a) These were anointed prophets, and because they were anointed the people would listen to them, so they used that to say what would please the people.
(i) But they were false prophecies.
(ii) They used the anointing in the wrong way, for their own gain.
(b) Look at EZE 22:30-31
2) What is the anointing of God for?
(a) We already read it back in (John 15:8) “Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.” KJV
C) The 1st purpose for the anointing is to bring glory to God.
1) The anointing is not to be used to show how wonderful and how spiritual you are.
(a) It’s not to impress others with the amount of power you possess, or to show people how many miracles you can produce.
(i) Satan can do miracles too. EXO 7:9-12
2) The anointing is to be used to glorify the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
(a) In (Hebrews 13:8) it says, “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.” KJV
(b) And again God says in (Malachi 3:6) “I am the LORD, I change not.” KJV
(c) We can rest assured that the Holy Ghost still has the same focus.
(i) In (JOHN 16:14) Jesus said that the Holy Ghost would GLORIFY the son.
(ii) The purpose of the anointing, which comes from the Holy Ghost, is to glorify the Son.
(d) If you’re going to operate in the anointing, you need to make sure that you motives are in line with God’s will.
III) When the anointing is present things are going to happen.
A) But the purpose of this power is NOT JUST to produce great singing, good preaching, or amazing healings. Even though these things may happen.
1) The purpose of the anointing is not just for goose bumps, shaking all over, or even falling out under the power of God, even though that may very well happen.
2) The true purpose for the anointing is to produce victory in your life so that God may be glorified.
B) We all know the scripture in (ZECH 4:6) which say, “Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.”
1) If you read that entire passage, especially if you read it from the AMP translation you’ll see that it is referring to OIL.
(a) Oil in a symbol of the anointing.
2) It other words it’s saying (ZECH 4:6) that VICTORY DOES NOT COME BY OUR OWN MIGHT OR POWER, BUT IT COMES BY THE ANOINTING OF THE Holy Ghost.
IV) Now I want to give you a Biblical illustration of the power and blessings that come with the anointing.
A) Turn with me to 1SAM 10
1) In (V 1) we see Saul being anointing by Samuel to be King over Israel.
2) Let’s read it 1SAM 10:1
(a) The oil that was poured upon his head was a symbol of what the Holy Ghost was doing. The Holy Ghost was anointing him.
(b) You need to have the anointing of God in all that you do for the Lord, if God calls you He will anoint you.
(i) It doesn’t matter if you’re an usher, or a pastor, God will anoint you.
(ii) Trust in Him and in His anointing.
3) The 2nd thing that we can see in Saul’s life right after he was anointed was RESTORATION. 1SAM 10:2a
(a) Perhaps you, like Saul, have lost something.
(i) Maybe it’s your dignity, your strength, your family, your friends, your hope, or even your will to live.
(ii) Whatever it is you can experience super natural restoration if you’ll get hooked into the anointing.
4) (V 3) reveals another product of the anointing, and that is PROGRESS. 1SAM 10:3a
(a) The anointing will give you the ability to make supernatural progress.
(i) When you’re anointed you go forward not backward.
(b) The Bible says that we are to go from Faith to Faith and from Glory to Glory.
(i) That anointing will give you the power to go forward in the things of God and to walk more and more in His Glory.
B) But we still have another benefit and blessing that is found in the anointing. Look at 1SAM 10:4
1) Here we see that the anointing produces FAVOR.
(a) When the anointing of God is upon you you’re going to receive things supernaturally.
(i) Example (Work at Lucky’s and Patti’s work at Red Owl)
2) But there are even more benefits to the anointing.
(a) Look at 1SAM 10:5-6
(b) There is going to be a change about you. No longer will you be cast down and defeated, but you will supernaturally rise up to be the head and not the tail, above only and not beneath.
(c) When the anointing comes upon you, you will have a supernatural ability.
3) (Philippians 4:13) Says, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” KJV
(a) The word “CHRIST” means “The Anointed One and it refers to His anointing.”
(b) In other words it says, “I can do all things through His anointing which strengths me.”
C) In the anointing there is EXCELLENCE, RESTORATION, POWER, PROGRESS, FAVOR, ELEVATED STATUS, STRENGTH, ABILITY, GROWTH, and DEVIL-STOMPING POWER.
1) But how do we walk in the anointing?
2) Humble yourself before God, obey His Word and His Voice, and get into the presence of God and you’ll see the anointing of God begin to flow in your life.
WOLCC Sunday, August 03, 1997