(07-07-08) The Seventy-Two - Luke 10.1-11, 16-20
Luke 10: 1-11, 16-20
· Animals getting a hard deal
o snakes, scorpions, spiders, sharks, piranhas…
· So, when Jesus is talking about snakes and scorpions…?
o what are they symbolic of?
o just the next chapter…
· Who or what is Satan?
· Who or what is ‘the enemy’?
· Who or what is ‘evil’?
· ‘…nothing will harm you.’
o we know that we can’t take that literally and simplistically:
· Personal experiences of congregation…
· Job 1-2
o God is totally powerful and utterly good.
o the God of the Bible is not ‘good but lacking the power to do anything’ (impotent) nor ‘able to act but unconcerned’ (callous) – No!
o He is fully concerned and able to do anything He chooses to…
· Avoiding dualism…
o God takes full responsibility because He is fully powerful and fully loving.
· The ultimate victory of God – Isaiah 66, the end of the long story of Israel’s disobedience ends with the blessing of God.
· So what’s actually been happening in the story that gets us thinking about this?
o Jesus is talking once again about the Kingdom of God – linked with:
o The Great Commission – ‘all authority in heaven…’
· So this is something that all of us are involved in.
o day by day, in the understanding of who God is…