(08-08-17) The Plan of Salvation - Isaiah 56.1, 6-8; Romans 11.1-2a, 29-32; Matthew 15.10-28
The Plan of Salvation – Isaiah 56:1, 6-8;
Romans 11:1-2a, 29-32; Matthew 15:10-28
· Discovering existence of the lectionary!
o sometimes makes life difficult
o sometimes brings great clarity
§ these passages together →the chronology of salvation
· The intent (Isaiah); the method (Matthew); the waiting (Romans)
· Isaiah (the intent)
o God’s promise of love was for His people, Israel
§ they were His
o the Law was there to show Israel how to worship God
§ how to be holy
§ but they were to be a sign to the nations of God’s holiness
§ calling all nations to worship the one true God
o God’s desire was for all people to worship Him in holiness
§ the Cross was plan A, not plan B!
· Matthew (the method)
o the Messiah, then, was God’s promised One
§ promised to His people
o Jesus’ mission was, chronologically at least, ‘first for the Jew, then for the Gentile’ (Romans 1:16)
§ He came as a Jew to the Jews
o today’s passage
§ what comes out of your mouth (from your heart and mind) is what makes you ‘unclean’ or shows that you are ‘clean’
· the Pharisees (and others) claimed religious practices were, in part, what marked Israel out from other peoples
· Jesus claims the heart is more important (1 Sam 16:7)
§ then His strange encounter with the Canaanite woman
· is Jesus denying healing to this woman’s daughter?
§ woman’s request in anticipation of fullness of the promise
· this was the future breaking into the present
o celebrating before crossing the line?
· Jesus’ mission was to bring the Kingdom
o here was the Kingdom come, now!
· Romans (the waiting)
o gestation and Crewe Station
o Paul getting a bit confusing!
o What does the Cross and the Gospel mean for Israel?
§ it shows us God’s patience with all of us
· disobedience the key word
· each of us, gone our own way, in need of a Saviour
· God’s Saviour comes through His chosen people
o patience with all humanity
· that Saviour opens God’s kingdom to all
o difficult for Israel to hear and receive
o set in opposition to others
o patience with Israel
· The intent
o God’s plan was salvation for all people
· The method
o Jesus came to Israel, to fulfil the Law (opening salvation to all)
· The waiting
o for all who will hear and receive this message to do so
· Pray for the Kingdom come – now
o for all to hear of Jesus and accept Him