#5 Seven Things That Build A Strong Christian Life
SEVEN THINGS THAT BUILD A STRONG CHRISTIAN LIFE
#5 - Make Sure Jesus Name Has It’s Proper Place In Your Life
Scripture: Acts 19:13-17
1) Don’t Be A Quitter
2) Feed On The Word
3) Be Filled With The Spirit
4) Let God Work Through You
Remember we said that a strong nation consists of strong churches and strong churches consist of strong families and strong families consist of strong individual husbands and wives, males and females. So we could entitle this message – any of the above – Seven Things That Build A Strong Nation, … A Strong Church etc.
I. Step 5: Make Sure Jesus Name Has It’s Proper Place In Your Life
A. What’s In A Name?
1. Moses would not go down into Egypt without the name
a) Ex. 3:13-14 – God is not His name – His name is ‘I AM’
b) The Lord has several by which He is called
(1) Every name that He uses reveals a different part or aspect of Him-self.
(2) There are 6 primary names for God in the O.T.
(a) Elohim (701x) – plural form of God – and so includes the Trinity. The name emphasizes His role as Creator. (usedUsed 31x in Genesis alone) – most famous of which is ‘In the beginning ‘Elohim’ created the heavens and the earth. Gen. 1:1.
(b) El (220x) – the Strong and Mighty One
(c) Eloah (56x) – God the Divine One
(d) Elah (76) – God – found only in Ezra
(e) Tsur (1) – Rock or Refuge – Isa. 44:8
(f) Jehovah – or Yahweh (437x) – Self ExistentSelf Existent or Eternal One – the Jews would not say this name – they would substitute the word ‘Adonai’ – or Lord in it’s place.
(3) Here are 11 Jehovah Names
(a) Jehovah Jireh – the Lord our provider
(b) Jehovah Nissi – the Lord our banner
(c) Jehovah Tsidekenuh – the Lord our righteousness
(d) Jehovah Shalom – The Lord our peace
(e) Jehovah Rapha – the Lord our healer
(f) Jehovah Mekaddishkem – the Lord our sanctifier
(g) Jehovah – Saboath – the Lord of hosts
(h) Jehovah Shammah – the Lord is present.
(i) Jehovah Elyon – the Lord most high
(j) Jehovah Roni – the Lord our shepherd
(k) Jehovah Hoseennu – the Lord our maker
(4) Apparently there is quite a bit in a name!
(5) ILLUSTRATION: Did you know that until the year 1100, most people in Europe had only one name. With the population increasing it became difficult to distinguish among people, so surnames (last names) were added. These names came primary from 4 different sources:
(a) A man’s occupation
(i) Such as John Cook or John Miller
(i) John Overhill or John Brook
(i) John’s son – Johnson
(i) John Small, John Short, John Longfellow. Julie Widehips
c) There is something to a name!
(1) Now these are the names of God – meaning God the Father.
(2) His Son – also has a name!
B. The Name of Jesus Was Magnified – vs. 17
1. To ‘magnify’ means make bigger
2. It’s obvious that the name of Jesus is supposed to hold a big place in the life of a believer.
a) What are some of Jesus names?
(1) Emmanuel – God with Us
(a) That means all the names of the Father are ascribed to Him also.
(2) Christ – anointed one
(3) The Word
(4) The ‘I am’
(5) But most importantly His name is called ‘JESUS’.
(6) The Last Adam
(9) Alpha and Omega
(11) Angel of his presence
(13) Arm of the Lord
(14) Author and Finisher of our faith
(15) Beginning and end of the creation of God
(17) Blessed and only Potentate
(19) Bread of life
(21) Bright and Morning Star
(22) Brightness of the Father's glory
(23) Captain of the Lord's host (army)
(24) Captain of Salvation
(25) Chief Shepherd
(26) Chief Cornerstone
(27) Chiefest among ten thousand
(28) Chosen of God
(29) Christ – the anointed one
(30) Christ, a King
(31) Christ Jesus
(32) Christ Jesus our Lord
(33) Christ of God
(34) Christ, the chosen of God
(35) Christ the Lord
(36) Christ, the power of God
(37) Christ the wisdom of God
(38) Christ, the Son of God
(39) Christ, Son of the Blessed
(41) Consolation of Israel
(44) Covenant of the people
(48) Day Star
(50) Desire of all nations
(51) Door, the
(55) Faithful and True
(56) Faithful & True Witness, the
(57) Finisher of faith
(58) First and last
(59) First born or begotten
(63) Friend of sinners
(64) Gift of God
(65) Glory of Israel
(66) God (deity)
(67) God blessed forever
(68) God manifest in the flesh
(69) God of Israel, the SaviourSavior
(70) God of the whole earth
(71) God our SaviourSavior
(72) God's dear Son
(73) God with us
(74) Good Master
(76) Great Shepherd of the sheep
(77) Head of the ekklesia (body)
(78) Heir of all things
(79) The Great High priest
(80) Head of every man
(81) Head of the corner
(82) Holy child Jesus
(83) Holy one
(84) Holy one of God
(85) Holy one of Israel
(86) Hope (our)
(87) Horn of salvation
(88) I AM
(89) Image of God
(91) Jehovah's fellow
(93) Just man, Just person, Just One
(95) King of Israel
(96) King of the Jews
(97) King of Saints
(98) King of Kings
(99) King of Glory
(100) King of Zion
(101) King over all the earth
(103) Lamb of God
(108) Light, everlasting
(109) Light of the world
(110) Light to the Gentiles
(111) Light, true
(112) Living Bread, the
(113) Living Stone
(114) Lion of the tribe of Judah
(116) Lord of Lords
(117) Lord of all
(118) Lord our righteousness
(119) Lord God Almighty
(120) Lord from heaven
(121) Lord and SaviourSavior Jesus Christ
(122) Lord Christ
(123) Lord Jesus
(124) Lord Jesus Christ
(125) Lord Jesus Christ our SaviourSavior
(126) Lord of glory
(127) Lord of Hosts (armies)
(128) Lord, mighty in battle
(129) Lord of the dead and living
(130) Lord of the sabbathSabbath
(131) Lord over all
(132) Lord's Christ
(133) Lord, strong and mighty
(134) Lord, the, our righteousness
(135) Lord, your holy one
(136) Lord, your redeemer
(137) Man Christ Jesus
(138) Man of sorrows
(140) Mediator, the only
(141) Messenger of the covenant
(143) Messiah the Prince
(144) Mighty God
(145) Mighty one of Israel
(146) Mighty one of Jacob
(147) Mighty to save
(148) Minister of the sanctuary
(149) Morning Star
(150) Most holy
(151) Most mighty
(153) Offspring of David
(154) Only wise God, our SaviourSavior
(156) Passover, our
(157) Plant of renown
(159) Power of God
(161) Precious Cornerstone
(164) Prince of Life
(165) Prince of Peace
(166) Prince of the kings of the earth
(168) Propitiation (expiation, our Sin-offering)
(169) Rabbi, Rabboni
(172) Resurrection and the Life, the
(174) Righteous Branch
(175) Righteous Judge
(176) Righteous Servant
(179) Rock of Offence
(180) Root of David
(181) Root of Jesse
(182) Rose of Sharon
(183) Ruler in Israel
(188) Second Man, the
(189) Seed of David
(190) Seed of the woman
(192) Servant of rulers
(194) Shepherd and Overseer of souls
(195) Shepherd, Chief
(196) Shepherd, Good
(197) Shepherd, Great
(198) Shepherd of Israel
(200) Son of the Father
(201) Son of God
(202) Son of Man
(203) Son of the Blessed One (God)
(204) Son of the Highest One (God)
(205) Son of David
(207) Sun of Righteousness
(208) Surety (Guarantee)
(210) Stone of Stumbling
(211) Sure Foundation
(213) True God
(214) True Vine
(216) Unspeakable Gift
(217) Very Christ
(218) Vine, the
(219) Way, the
(220) Which is, which was, which is to come (equivalent to the tetragrammaton (YHWH), the Eternal One, I AM THAT I AM
(222) Wisdom of God, the
(226) Word of God
(227) Word of Life
But the Name We Know Him Most By Is:
(229) Jesus Christ
(230) Jesus Christ our Lord
(231) Jesus Christ our Savior
(232) Jesus of Nazareth
(233) Jesus (of Nazareth), King of the Jews
(234) Jesus, the Son of God
(235) Jesus, the Son of Joseph
(237) Savior, Jesus Christ
(238) Savior of the body (ekklesia)
(239) Savior of the world
C. What Significance Does This Name Hold For A Believer?
1. Answered Prayer Promised - John 16:23-24
23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
2. Devils Cast Out
a) Mark 16:17
‘These signs shall follow them that believe; in my name shall they cast out devils….’
(1) We could say it this way – In my name shall they exercise authority over the devil
b) Luke 10:17-19 – gives you a little clue as to the extent of the authority that is in that name.
(1) Luke 10:17
17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
(a) Remember that this was before Calvary – before Jesus defeated the devil in hell – before He snatched the keys of death hell and the grave. Before He was risen from the dead and declared to be Lord AdvocatenAdvocate General of The Church. Before all of that, the name had power over devils. How much more does it have power today?
(2) The awesome-ness of His power is so great until Paul prayed for the Ephesians that they might get a revelation of ‘…what is the exceeding greatness of His power to us-ward who believe…’
(a) There is great power invested in this name.
c) The Name Was Prominent Among The Ungodly
(1) Seven Sons of Sceva – Acts 19:13-17
(a) They could see that there was something extraordinary about this name. They copied the early disciples in their use of that name.
(b) Do you see the growth requirement in this 15th verse? – Jesus I know and Paul I know.
(i) How well do you know Him?
(ii) Wouldn’t you like to be classed with Jesus? When you get where you understand the use of this name and boldly stand and declare it until the sound rings throughout the regions of the damned – then the demons will say Jesus I know and ‘Emery’ I know but who are you.
(2) The Religious Leaders
(a) Were grieved that the disciples used this name. And so they arrested them after the lame man at the Beautiful Gate of the Temple was healed.
(i) Acts 4:2:
“Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.”
(ii) Acts 4:7-10
“And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?
Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,
If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;
Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.”
(b) The religious leaders said we have to stop all this.
(i) Acts 4:18
“And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.”
(c) They recognized that it was that name that did it.
The disciples after they were threatened went back to their own company and had a prayer meeting and they prayed this prayer:
(i) Acts 4:29-30
And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,
By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.
(d) The refused to back off their use of that name!
d) The Name Was Prominent Among Believers
(1) They were exhorted to use it in worship
(a) Heb. 13:15
(b) Col 3:17 – they were literally exhorted to use that name in whatever they did.
‘And whatsoever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks unto God and the father by Him.’