Too Late and Lost
Too Late To Wait
As we look at this story in the Bible, we must realize that it is an awful yet true story. It is awful because one man had so much suffering in this life and the other man had so much suffering in the next life. It is awful because one man ended up in hell. We know this story is true because Jesus told it.
This awful story is summarized in four words: TOO LATE To Wait! About the only real difference between these two men is two words: TOO LATE! The rich man in hell did everything that the poor man did on earth; however he did them simply TOO LATE!
He awoke to the fact of eternity too late (vs.22-23)
A. He had to die
1. Death is a sure appointment that we all have to keep. (Hebrews 9:27)
2. Death is real.
3. Death is a peeping tom; he gazes into your window just waiting for the opportunity to snatch your soul.
Experts say that 3 people die every second. If this fact is true, then 180 people die every minute, 10,800 people die every hour, 259,200 people die every day, and 94,608,000 people die every year. Of the six billion people on earth today, experts also say that 2/3 of them have never heard the Gospel one time. If these percentages hold true, then 63, 103,536 people die every year without ever hearing the Gospel one time! Not everyone that has heard the Gospel one time accepts the Gospel. Therefore, many more people die every year without hearing the Gospel!
B. Death did not end it all.
1. This should encourage those who are saved.
2. This should sound a warning to those who are lost.
3. He lifted up his eyes too late (vs. 23)
4. He was too busy in life to stop and look up.
5. He was too involved with earth to look up to heaven
C. He was too absorbed with the Now to think of the Here-after.
The average man breathes God’s free air, eats God’s food, drinks God’s water, and never turns a face to God in appreciation.
ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT THE SECOND STEP TO BECOMING A REPROBATE IS TO BE UNGRATEFUL. (Romans 1:21-24)
We should always remember to lift our eyes to heaven. (Psalm 121:1-2)
3. He shed tears too late. (vs. 24)
A. Nothing moved him in life.
1. Lazarus was full of sores lying at his gate; yet he never helped him.
2. The needy were all around him; yet he only thought of his own tables, clothes, and life.
3. He never thought about the spiritual welfare of other including his family.
B. Always remember that sin deceives us and hardens us. (Hebrews 3:13)
4. He pray too late (vs. 27)
A. This is the only pray in the Bible that is prayed to a saint, and it went unanswered!
B. The Bible commands us to “Pray without ceasing.”
Prayer makes a difference. (James 5:16)
When George Meller got saved, He had five lost friends. He began to pray for these 5 friends. Five years went by, and one got saved. Fifteen years went by and 2 others got saved. Twenty-five years went by and the 4th got saved! Fifty-two years after he began praying for these friends, he died. Six months after George Muller’s funeral, the last 5th friend got saved! Prayer works!
IT IS NOT A MATTER OF IF YOU WILL BOW A KNEE; IT IS A MATTER OF WHEN YOU WILL BOW A KNEE! (Phil 2:10-11)
5. He remembered too late (vs. 25)
A. He remembered God’s goodness too late.
Man is warned not to forget the goodness of God.
B. The ability to remember is one of the torments of hell.(vs.25)
6. He was concerned about the lost too late. (vs. 28)
A. While he was living, he was never concerned about his family or friends salvation.
B. Many of us are just like this man:
1. We never witness to the lost
2. We never give a tract to the lost
3. We never invite the lost to church
4. We never request prayer for the lost
“How shall they hear without a preacher!”
The rich man simply waited too late to:
1. awake to the fact of eternity
2. to lift up his eyes
3. to shed tears
4. to pray
5. to remember
6. to be concerned for the lost.
If you are here today and don’t know Christ as your personal Savior, DO NOT WAIT TOO LATE!
If you are here and do not have a burden for souls that you should, DO NOT WAIT TOO LATE!
If you are here and are holding back your life from serving God, DO NOT WAIT TOO LATE!
WHEN YOU WAIT TOO LATE, THERE IS NO SECOND CHANCES!!!