Essentials of the Local Church
Is the Local Church Important?
Who Started the Local Church?
What price was paid that we might gather together (assemble) as believers?
Is it the will of God that we assemble as a local church?
What are the Essetials of the Local Church?
- Repentant Believers
- Baptized Disciples
- Systematic Teaching
- Breaking of Bread (Dual Meaning)
- Continued steadfastly: They gave constant attention or as the NIV says devoted themselves to the Apostles Doctrine.
- Apostle’s doctrine:
!Why the apostles taught doctrine:
- It was commanded of them by Jesus Christ. (Matt 28:20)
2) It is necessary food for the growth of all Christians (I Peter 2:2; Eph. 4;12)
3) To promote unity in the church (Eph 4:13)
4) Conforms us to Christ’s image (Eph 4:13)
5) So that we know the truth and cannot be deceived (Eph 4:14)
6) Because applied doctrine is the only thing that will stand in the time of crisis (James 1:21)
a) Applied doctrine is teaching that is residing in your soul
b) Teaching that is not in your soul will not be able to help you in time of crisis.
c) Knowing your saved may not be enough
7) So that we can be victorious over Satan daily (Eph. 6:11-18).
8) Because we may never have another chance to learn it.
- Fellowship: Sharing Spiritual Things
Definition – Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up. Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; But how can one be warm alone? Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Better a poor and wise youth Than an old and foolish king who will be admonished no more. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-13 NKJV
1) Fellowship is picking up another brother or sister when they are down (vss 9,10).
2) Fellowship is benefiting one another in everyday circumstances (vs11).
3) Fellowship is helping in times of trouble or need (vs 12).
4) Fellowship is sticking together at all times no matter what my happen (unity) (vs12b).
a) KOINONIA – A sharing in common – Joint participation in things we have in common.
b) Acts 2:42, Rom. 15:26; I Cor. 1:9; I Cor 1016; I Cor 9:13; Gal 2:9; Heb 13:16
c) Giving of your self to benefit others. Material goods, wisdom (advice based on biblical principals), spiritual knowledge
5) Fellowship is partnership in the work of Jesus Christ. Taking an equal share.
- Breaking of Bread: Sharing material things
A. Eating with each other.
Sharing each others burdens and blessings (Eph 6:18; I Thess. 5:25; James 5:16; Eph 5;20; I Thess 5:18; Gal 6:2)